YAGM Program Accepting Applications
The ELCA Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) program invites ELCA young adults ages 21-29 into a transformative, year-long journey in international service. As they offer themselves in service, ELCA young adults are shaped by the witness of our global neighbors. They share in the journeys of companion churches and organizations in one of nine countries around the world.
A year of service through the Young Adults in Global Mission program invites young adults to become the hands and feet of Jesus in the world, providing critical support to ministries and projects in communities of need. It also invites volunteers into a journey of self-reflection, providing space to consider their sense of identity, God’s work in the world, and their place within it all.
Young adults serve in the spirit of accompaniment, walking alongside global companions in a manner that practices mutuality, interdependence and solidarity. Areas of service include, but are not limited to, health and development, congregational ministry, human rights, education, homelessness, addiction recovery, women’s issues and children and youth. All site placements provide opportunities for young adults to confront issues of wealth and poverty, racial privilege, economic disparity and globalization, all through the lens of faith.
Candidates apply to the program at-large rather than to a specific country. Applicant preferences are taken into account but the final decision about where volunteers serve is made by Global Mission staff and YAGM country coordinators. Current YAGM country programs include: Argentina/Uruguay, Australia, Cambodia, Central Europe, Jerusalem/West Bank, Madagascar, Mexico, Rwanda, Senegal, Southern Africa and United Kingdom.
Applications for the program opened on December 1 and are due February 15, for service beginning in August.
For further information contact YAGM at 1-800-638-3522, ext. 2446 or by email.
ACA Open Enrollment Closes December 15
Friendly reminder: If you are needing insurance through the Affordable Care Act (often called Obamacare), open enrollment closes on December 15. It would be wise not to wait until the last day, in case there are any technical issues related to an overwhelming response to that deadline. Enroll at healthcare.gov.
The ELCA’s Worship at the Center: Journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter event scheduled for February in Austin has been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Featured Resource for December
Americans spend over $300 billion on Christmas shopping each year. This year, consider giving gifts that fight hunger and grow the church with ELCA Good Gifts. Select from more than 50 gifts – from goats to water filters to school fees – to help people in need. All gifts can be given in honor of friends and loved ones, and each gift comes with a free card for you to share the news. Give online and you can now personalize cards to send directly to your loved one’s mailing or email address.
Get your whole congregation involved with resources like posters, bulletin inserts, planning guides, ornaments, and coloring sheets. The gifts provide direct support to ELCA ministries that are already at work in nearly 100 countries.
Save the Date
February 11-13, 2018
Theme: Rooted in Faith / Grounded in Love
Speaker: Rev. Alexia Salvatierra, Co-author of Faith-Rooted Organizing: Mobilizing the Church in Service to the World
Location: Gethsemane, Austin, and the Capitol Building, Austin
It is our hope that the Sunday program will set the spiritual foundation so that all participants will have a better understanding of why and how we can advocate in a faith-based way for the legislative issues we hear on Monday.
Recent Blog Post
(https://www.ntnl.org/crossing-the-metroplex/ – published Dec. 4)
Where in the world is?
- Dec. 14 – Latin@ Conference and Seminary President Gathering, Holy Trinity, Irving
- Dec. 14 – Relocation Team and Council meetings, First, Waco
- Dec. 15 – NT-NL Candidacy Retreat, Briarwood
- Dec. 17 – Family Sunday, Trinity, Fort Worth
- Dec. 8-11 – Vacation
- Dec. 15-16 – NT-NL Candidacy Retreat, Briarwood
- Dec. 14 – Hispanic Leadership Formation consultation and Evening Ministries reviews, Holy Trinity, Irving
- Dec. 16 – NT-NL Stewardship Team: 2nd Part Venture Training
- Through Dec. 15: Bridwell Library Exhibition: Martin Luther in the Age of Print (Perkins | SMU)
- Dec. 27-28: NT-NL Christmas Break Young Adult Retreat
- Jan. 14: Mikah Meyer’s Stories & Songs Recital
- Jan. 19-21: Junior High Gathering
- Jan. 20: Hearing on the ELCA Draft Social Statement on Women and Justice
- Feb. 2-3: Synod Council Meeting
- Feb. 10: MEF Board meeting
- Feb. 11-13: Lutheran Legislative Event
- Feb. 24: Senior Fest 2018 (AOLA)
- Feb. 25-27: LSTC Seminary Sampler
- Mar. 2-4: Spring Retreat for 4th, 5th, & 6th graders
- Mar. 2-4: Peer Ministry (9th-12th graders)
- Mar. 9-10: The Role of the Church in Undoing Racism
- Mar. 17: PLMA Spring 2018, Course 1
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.