- This event has passed.
Eighth Annual North Texas Senior Fest
This year’s primary speaker will be Dr. Mark Allen Powell, professor of New Testament at Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio.
His theme will be “Retirement as Vocation” as he discusses what the Bible says about aging.
“Retirement as Vocation” Workshops:
- De-clutter to Downsize Your Home and Life – Lorraine Brock, a favorite among last year’s presenters, will share ideas geared to seniors who wish to “downsize their lives.”
- How Not To Fall – Stephanie Calabrese, a Registered Physical Therapist, will share fun tips and guidance on how to maintain your balance in life.
- Surviving the Death of a Loved One – Darrel Gilbertson, retired Lutheran pastor and author, will share his journey of loss and hope during the past year following his wife’s death.
- Live Long and Prosper! – Gerry Hughes is a Wealth Advisor and Certified Financial Planner with Thrivent Financial. He will discuss strategies for financial security and strength in the later years of life.
- Drawing Your Way to Spiritual Health – Susan Thillen will show how you can doodle your way to better mental and spiritual health and improve your “hearing” skills through Zentangles.
- No Money Required – Laura Wolfe is volunteer coordinator for the North Central Texas Area Agency on Aging. She will provide an overview of the resources and services that are available free of charge to persons age 60 and older through the network of Area Agencies on Aging.
Dr. Mark Allen Powell, Keynote Speaker
Dr. Powell is Professor of New Testament at Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, and an internationally known biblical scholar. He is General Editor of the HarperCollins Bible Dictionary and author of more than 25 other books in biblical studies. As a hobby, he works as a professional rock music critic, specializing in Christian artists. He is a native Texan and plans to return to Texas when his “exile in Ohio” ends. He and his wife have four adult children.
The North Texas SeniorFest 2015 is sponsored by:
Adult Lutherans Organized for Action
In cooperation with
The Texas District of the LCMS
The NTNL Mission Area of the ELCA
With financial support from:
North Central Texas Chapter of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
ALOA, Adult Lutherans Organized for Action, is an inter-Lutheran movement that provides resources for older adult ministry of the ELCA and LCMS. ALOA’s mission is to equip mature adults to celebrate and serve.
SeniorFest events gather adults, ages fifty and above, for learning, and fellowship with the intent to invigorate their physical, spiritual, social, and mental well-being. This is the eighth annual North Texas SeniorFest.