Upcoming Youth Events
Prior to the ELCA Youth Gathering (June 27 – July 1, 2018), which we should all be planning for already, are these two additional events:
the tAble: an ELCA gathering of youth with disabilities (June 24-27, 2018)
The ELCA Multicultural Youth Leadership Event (June 24-27, 2018)
Mark your calendar. Let’s make sure any NT-NL youth who wants to go is able to go! If you have any questions:
Gathering Synod Coordinator is Janelle Miller (email@example.com) 817-726-7031
Serving the Neighbor in Charged Times
In her June column for Living Lutheran, ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton reflects on serving the neighbor in politically charged times. She reminds us that “active participation in public life and the duty of government to care for its people, especially the most vulnerable, have been part of the Lutheran movement since its beginning.” Read her column in English at livinglutheran.org/2017/06/serving-neighbor-charged-times/ or in Spanish at livinglutheran.org/2017/06/sirviendo-al-projimo-en-tiempos-de-tension/.
Suggested Summer Reading
As provided by our Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice in conjunction with the Bridges Book Club:
Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America by Michael Eric Dyson
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
Why Are All Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum
A Colony in a Nation by Chris Hayes
I Am Not Your Negro by James Baldwin
Dealing With Your Implicit Racism: For Black People and Anti-Racism Activists by Sefunmi Oladumiye
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Race Matters by Cornel West
The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein
Featured Resource for June
Watch author Brian McLaren give a presentation on Finding Our Way Again.
Click here for more information about his book.
Save the Date
“God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday
ELCA Day of Service
Where in the world is?
- Jun 26 – Beautiful Savior, Amarillo
- Jun 29 – Churches Uniting In Christ local gathering, Gloria Dei, Garland
- Jun 27 – Trinity, Wichita Falls
- Jul 2-9 – Vacation
- Jun 27-29 – Region 4 DEMs Gathering, New Orleans
- Jul. 8: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Jul. 13-16: “all anew” Women of the ELCA Tenth Triennial Gathering
- Jul. 21-23: The Bold Gathering (Lutheran Men in Mission)
- Aug. 7-10: ELCA Rostered Ministers Gathering
- Aug. 12: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Aug. 12: NT-NL SWO Retreat
- Aug. 19: MEF Board meeting
- Aug. 26: NT-NL SWO Board Meeting
- Sep. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Sep. 10: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday (ELCA Day of Service)
- Sep. 16: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 1
- Sep. 21-23: Synod Council meeting
- Sep. 25: “Revisiting the 95 Thesis” (Luther Center of North Texas)
- Sep. 29-Oct. 1: Junior High Retreat
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!