From the Bishop: Today, June 19, is an important holiday in the history of Texas and the United States (https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/juneteenth.html). As the ELCA and NT-NL works to examine our history and confront the reality of racism, remembering the events of June 19, 1865, is important for all of us. Last summer, my family and I spent a couple days on Galveston Island after the Churchwide Assembly in New Orleans. While there enjoying time on the historic “Strand,” we came across this marker reminding us of that day. My older daughter read it and began asking questions about slavery, and then that conversation moved to issues of racism today as well. I would encourage you in your families and in your congregations to be certain we tell these stories, remember this history, and then utilize it as an opportunity to engage conversations about the challenges we face today engaging systemic racism in our society.
The following recordings are now available on the NT-NL YouTube channel.
The Rev. Dr. George Mason’s keynote presentation from Friday, April 28:
Rev. Mason graciously sent us the text as well: A Baptist Blessing to My Lutheran Cousins
The Rev. Louise Johnson’s sermon from Friday, April 28:
Bishop Erik K. J. Gronberg’s sermon from Saturday, April 29:
You can also access these, and the resources from ELCA VP Bill Horne, on our Assembly event page: https://www.ntnl.org/event/2017-mission-synod-assembly/.
ELCA Churchwide Report Video Survey
If you attended our 2017 Assembly, you may recall we showed this ELCA video:
The ElCA would like your feedback: https://surveys.elca.org/scripts/rws5.pl?FORM=savideo17
Featured Resource for June
Watch author Brian McLaren give a presentation on Finding Our Way Again.
Save the Date
TUNE UP Worship Band Gathering
Messiah Lutheran Church
Cypress, Texas (Houston area)
The Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod invites people to join them for their fifth annual “TUNE UP worship band gathering” in Houston. For those who have never experienced this event, it is an opportunity for contemporary worship musicians to learn and grow with specific learning tracks for worship leaders, vocalists, drummers, guitarists (all varieties), keyboardists, and sound techs.
There will also be sessions available on Running an Effective Rehearsal, Ways to Get your Congregation Singing, 12 Steps to a Better Worship Band, and 10 Ways to Use Video Technology in Worship. Worship bands, praise teams, directors of music, and pastors will all take away useful ideas they can immediately implement.
The cost is just $25 per person, with a maximum per church of $150, which includes lunch. To learn more or to register, visit tuneupgathering.org.
Where in the world is?
- Jun 14-22 – Family Vacation
- Jun 24-25 – Faith, Spearman and Oslo, Gruver
- Jun 25 – Trinity, Clovis, NM
- Jun 19-23 – Vacation
- Jun 25 – Indonesian Gethsemane, Allen
- Jun 25 – Quinceañera, First Sagrada Familia, Garland
- Jul. 8: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Jul. 13-16: “all anew” Women of the ELCA Tenth Triennial Gathering
- Jul. 21-23: The Bold Gathering (Lutheran Men in Mission)
- Aug. 7-10: ELCA Rostered Ministers Gathering
- Aug. 12: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Aug. 12: NT-NL SWO Retreat
- Aug. 19: MEF Board meeting
- Aug. 26: NT-NL SWO Board Meeting
- Sep. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Sep. 10: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday (ELCA Day of Service)
- Sep. 16: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 1
- Sep. 21-23: Synod Council meeting
- Sep. 25: “Revisiting the 95 Thesis” (Luther Center of North Texas)
- Sep. 29-Oct. 1: Junior High Retreat
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!