If you were present with us for our 2017 Assembly, we watched a moving video called Perfect Day. Did you know that Mosaic is a social ministry of the ELCA and a member of LSA? Click here to access a flyer Mosaic created just for us. Five of their locations fall within the boundaries of our synod.
In a recent meeting, we asked how NT-NL could be of support to their vital ministry. Here are their top three needs, not in any particular order:
- HUGS (Hygiene items, Utility Room items, Gift Cards / Get Creative, and Sheets / Sundries). Think toiletries, household supplies, cleaning products, etc. Gifts cards could be for going out to activities like movies and bowling and meals, or they could be for places like Target to buy supplies for day programs, child care center, or even clothes for people.
- Sign up as advocates through Mosaic Allied Voices: mosaicalliedvoices.org. The Mosaic Blog also has great information on it: mosaicinfo.org/blog. Mosaic would not be here after 104 years without the advocacy of our congregational partners, families, and staff.
Group volunteers to help with Birthday Bashes, Holiday activities throughout the year (“adoptions” at the holidays such as Valentine’s sacks; St Patty’s party could be as simple as make a craft, drink green punch and eat cookies; Easter baskets; 4th of July cookout; Halloween treats; Thanksgiving; and Christmas). Tied into this is opportunities for Mosaic to give back. They would also love for congregations to consider inviting them to help with outreach projects to create these things for others in need as well (i.e., holiday treats for families in need, stuffing backpacks for back to school projects, helping at food pantries, etc.).
If you want to learn more, you are invited to attend a Discover the Possibilities event. These are one-hour “lunch and learns” (not fundraisers) and a great way to see firsthand their ministry in action. Its informational and inspirational, and each agency hosts them two times a month from 12 – 1pm. Mosaic can also hold them off-site if enough people are interested.
Multicultural Resource Webinar
From the ELCA:
What does it mean to be the one body of Christ, and how do we work together toward multicultural congregations?
Please join me on Wednesday, May 24, at 1 p.m., for a 45-minute webinar. We will explore these questions, and I will share an important resource.
This resource “One Body, Many Members: A journey for Christians across race, culture and class” has three parts:
- One Body, Similar Members, Leadership Readiness
- Meeting My Neighbor Again for the First Time
- One Body, Many Members, Challenges of Diversity
During the webinar, I will introduce you to Part One: One Body, Similar Members, Leadership Readiness. This resource is designed for congregational leadership and can be an important part of planning and discovery toward becoming multicultural congregations. Join me as we overview the content which includes: Bible studies, group questions, stories, survey tools and more.
Audio and screen-sharing for this webinar will take place through your browser. About 10 minutes prior to the start of the event, click to join the online webinar. You may be prompted to install a small extension for your browser. Turn up your computer speakers for the audio. For best results, use a headset and a microphone. You will also be able to enter questions in a chat box.
Normally you should be able to hear the presenters through the speakers or headset on your computer. If you can see the presentation visuals, but can’t hear the presenters, you can dial into the webinar audio using one of these numbers: 773-380-2690 or 866-730-3522. The conference ID is 88805.
I look forward to having you join me on May 24. Please let me know if you have any questions. My contact number is 773-380-2835, and my email is Judith.Roberts@elca.org.
Program Director for Racial Justice
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Bridges Book Club
The joint event scheduled for May 13 has been postponed. The Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice will let us know when it is on the calendar again.
Featured Resource for May
October 31, 2017, will mark 500 years since the beginning of the Lutheran Reformation, spurred by Martin Luther’s posting of the Ninety-Five Theses. This is an important anniversary and one that deserves to be lifted up not just on a global scale—as it will be—but in your congregation and community as well.
Through several avenues, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Augsburg Fortress will be highlighting a wide range of ideas and possibilities from various sources with ways to mark and observe this milestone.
Save the Date
Celebration of Thanksgiving and Rededication for the Restoration of the Historic Stained Glass Windows at Mount Olive, Dallas
Sunday, May 21, 4pm
Bishop Gronberg will be presiding.
FREE BBQ dinner following the worship celebration.
Where in the world is?
- May 8 – Celebrating Greta’s 5th birthday
- May 11 – PhD Graduation from Dallas Baptist University
- No visits planned for this week
- May 8 – Christ the King, Ft Worth
- May 9 – Bishop’s Convocation Planning Team meeting, Advent, Arlington, and First Sagrada Familia, Garland
- May 12 – NT-NL Stewardship Team meeting, Synod office
- May 14-18 – ELCA Spanish Coach Team & Latino Strategy Team meetings, Chicago
- May 13: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- May 20: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 3
- May 20: Mission Endowment Fund board meeting
- May 24: ELCA Multicultural Resource webinar
- May 28 – Jun. 2: Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive I
- Jun. 3-4: Churches Uniting in Christ (CUIC) National Celebration
- Jun. 10: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Jun. 11-16: Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry (Intensive II)
- Jun. 17: ELCA’s Faith, Sexism, and Justice: Conversations Toward a Social Statement
- Jul. 8: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Jul. 13-16: “all anew” Women of the ELCA Tenth Triennial Gathering
- Jul. 21-23: The Bold Gathering (Lutheran Men in Mission)
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!