Mission Endowment Fund (MEF) Updates
The Mission Endowment Fund Board announces the 29 congregations and organizations who have received grants for 2019, totaling $80,000! We are grateful for the support and encourage our congregations to become more involved in this ministry that serves NT-NL with significant funds for creative ministries, outreach for growth, and new mission starts.
Save the Date: The 2019 MEF “Seeds That Change” FUNdraiser and Celebration will be on Saturday, October 19. More details forthcoming.
Led by the Spirit
As the church works to adapt to its ever-changing environment, the ELCA is focusing on congregational vitality. The ELCA Conference of Bishops described vitality by saying that it’s found in communities of Jesus that nurture life-changing relationships with God, one another, and the world. As the ELCA moves beyond the two traditional measurements of congregational health—number of people and dollars—congregations around the country are embracing the ways the Spirit sustains them.
Texas Church Paid Off Lunch Debts of Entire School District
…Royse City First United Methodist Church gives its Christmas Eve donation to charity each year. [In the previous] year, they gave half to a nonprofit and the other half to a local elementary school’s lunch fund. In 2018, they wanted to go above and beyond, so Pastor Chris Everson proposed they direct their donations toward the entire school district.
Adi Bryant, Royse City ISD’s chief communications officer, told NBC about 40 percent of the district’s 6,000 students are on the free or reduced price lunch program. She says the church offered to help indebted families without prompting, handing the check over without fanfare around Christmas.
“If the church does not impact the community the church is in, then the church isn’t doing its job,” Everson told NBC. “With us having the opportunity to make an impact, then we are doing what Christ has called us to do to—serve the least of these….”
Featured Resources for April
Commemorating the 2019 Quad-Centennial of the Forced Transatlantic Voyage of Enslaved African Peoples to Jamestown, Virginia
Edited by Rev. Dr. Angelique Walker-Smith
Save the Date
Briarwood Leadership Center
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/lutheran-advocacy-public-faith/ – published Mar. 26)
(https://www.ntnl.org/nebraska-floods-inmissiontogether/ – published Mar. 27)
(https://www.ntnl.org/young-adults-and-lutheran-outdoor-ministries/ – published Mar. 28)
Where in the world is?
- Apr. 7: Faith, Flower Mound
- Apr. 1-2: Luther Faithful Innovations, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN
- Apr. 7: Advent, Arlington
- Apr. 2: Meeting with Leaders serving a Latinx church, Synod office
- Apr. 3: Meeting with Mission Interpreter Leader, Rev. Janice Heidlberger
- Apr. 4: Meeting with Rev. Don Strickland, Synod office
- Apr. 4: Meeting with Dan Cazac of Lutheran Social Services, Synod office
- Apr. 7: Faith, Fort Worth
- Apr. 5-8: Ecumenical Advocacy Days, Washington, DC
- Apr. 5-14: Faith Climate Action Week
- Apr. 6: Heart of Texas conference W-ELCA Spring Gathering, Crawford, TX
- Apr. 9-11: Young at Heart Retreat, Briarwood
- Apr. 11-12: Rabbi Andrea L Weiss, PhD, speaking, Dallas, TX
- Apr. 13: PLMA, Spring 2019, Course 2, Briarwood
- Apr. 13: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Apr. 15: Last day to Register Online for Synod Assembly
- Apr. 26-27: 2019 Synod Assembly, Richland Hills, TX
- Apr. 26-28: Houston Gathering Reunion at Synod Assembly, Fort Worth, TX
- May 4: Briarwood Annual Gala: A Night Under the Stars, Euless, TX
- May 11: PLMA, Spring 2019, Course 3, Briarwood
- May 11: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- May 19: Lutheran Campus Ministry at Denton Golf Outing, Frisco, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.