A joint service between St. Luke’s Lutheran Church & St. Barnabas Presbyterian Church
December 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM
The name of the Blue Christmas service describes the feeling many of us have during this season. The long, dark winter nights, and memories of past experiences and situations can become overwhelming. Job loss, health issues, the end of a relationship, the death of a loved one, all these things can turn this season into a time of pain with a magnified sense of loss. In this service, we invite you to listen, pray, sing, and meditate upon the pain and anguish you may bring – and we invite you to offer your pain to the Christ Child. We trust that you will find hope and comfort in knowing you are not alone.
Thank you for supporting new grants for ministries with youth and young adults
This fall, the Youth and Young Adults program launched its next round of innovation grants, ranging from $5,000 to $40,000. Grants are awarded to programs focusing on the initiative’s core values: form faith in youth and young adults; develop and multiply youth and young adult leaders; start new ministries or enhance current efforts; promote collaboration and creativity; engage youth and young adults of color; and accompany communities and persons living in poverty. After the success of the last 21 grants, we are eager to see the innovative ideas lifted up in this cycle.
Vital Congregations and Young Adult Ministry
For interesting new research on vital congregations that includes not just the ELCA but also ecumenical and interfaith data, read the new Congregational Vitality report funded by Faith Communities Today and researched by the ELCA’s Linda Bobbitt. Wondering where the church might be headed? The Lutheran Campus Ministry Network has recently published a summary of major findings from its research on young adult ministry on college campuses today. Both of these brief reports are worth reading and contemplating.
Featured Resources for December
The holidays can be a tough time for many, especially those grieving.
What Faith Communities Can Do to Prevent Suicide
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free, and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
Our mission is inclusive and interfaith. Our goal is zero suicides for all peoples, no matter their beliefs.
Save the Date
January 26-27, 2019
All men are invited to come out to Briarwood and help prepare for the year by clearing out brush and dead trees around the property! Once our wood pile is filled, we will have our “take-home” pile of firewood that is free to take home!
Afterwards, we will put away the leather gloves and chainsaws, and have a wonderful steak dinner prepared by our amazing kitchen staff (you won’t want to miss it!). Then, we will have a movie set up for everyone, or you can compete in our annual Texas Hold’em Tournament, with amazing prizes for the winners! Be sure to register soon and join in the fun!
Where in the world is?
- Dec. 16: St. John, Bartlett, 135th Anniversary Worship
- Dec. 10: Emanuel, Dallas, Council meeting
- Dec. 16: St. Stephen, Shreveport
- Dec. 10: Meeting with NT-NL Mission Interpreter Coordinator, Synod office
- Dec. 11: Meeting with African American Pastors, St. John’s, Dallas
- Dec. 13: Meeting with NT-NL Stewardship Team, Synod office
- Dec. 27-28: NT-NL 2018 Christmas Break Young Adult Retreat, Briarwood
- Jan. 4-6: Women, Word, and Wine Retreat 2019, Briarwood
- Jan. 13: ConFESt: Confirmands’ Afternoon with the Bishop, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 17: Boundaries Training, Briarwood
- Jan. 26: Seminario sobre la homosexualidad y sus diferentes facetas, Farmers Branch, TX
- Jan. 26-27: Men’s Lumberjack Retreat, Briarwood
- Jan. 28-30: Tri-Theological Conference, Galveston, TX
- Jan. 31 – Feb. 3: IGNITE: North Texas 2019 (ALDE), Grapevine, TX
- Feb. 8-9: Synod Council meeting, Briarwood
- Feb. 9: MEF Board meeting, Briarwood
- Feb. 16-17: Junior High Gathering & Group Dynamix, Carrollton, TX
- Feb. 23: Senior Fest 2019 (ALOA), Plano, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.