2020 Briarwood Men’s Service Retreat
Join Bishop Gronberg and Dan Lund (Church of the Damascus Road) for a weekend of worship, study, and service. This is a new take on the “Lumberjack” men’s retreat and is open to men of all ages.
The theme for 2020 is “Behold the Lamb of God” based on the assigned Gospel for January 19, John 1:29-42. We will reflect on the story of John the Baptist and his call to proclaim Jesus as the light of the world. Bishop Gronberg will lead our devotions and bible study. Dan Lund, the leader of NT-NL’s prison ministry, Church of the Damascus Road, will be with us throughout the weekend to speak about this important work and how in this ministry we bring light to those incarcerated.
A service project (including some “Lumberjack” type activities to provide firewood) will be a focus of the weekend. There will be activities for all physical abilities, so please indicate your needs on the registration form.
Click here for full details, including a tentative agenda.
Emergency Planning Resources for Congregations
We mourn for those killed in the violence at West Freeway Church of Christ in Fort Worth on Sunday, December 29. This, of course, is one more incident of gun violence within houses of worship. NT-NL has provided the following resources on our website since the Sutherland Springs shooting in the fall of 2017: https://www.ntnl.org/resources/emergency-planning-for-churches/. It includes a letter from Bishop Gronberg giving counsel to our leaders and encouraging congregational leadership to have conversations about how they will respond to the potential for acts of violence.
Free ALOA Webinars
ALOA (Adult Lutherans Organized for Action) has much to offer Lutheran congregations in the area of Older Adult Ministry. In addition to the resources on their website, ALOA offers regular Webinars on key topics for Older Adult Ministry that are practical and free of charge. Find complete information and register at aloaserves.org/events/webinars/.
Faith Story: How to Share Your Faith Journey
Thursday, January 9, 2020, Noon Eastern Time
Dr. Mary Manz Simon and Rev. Ken Holdorf, creators of ALOA’s Faith Stories project, discuss the importance of recording or writing your Faith Story and give tips for congregations interested in making a practice like this a part of their older adult ministry programming.
Aging Parents and Adult Children with Disabilities
Thursday, January 23, 2020, Noon Eastern Time
Mona Fuerstenau of Bethesda Lutheran Communities will explore the challenges and possibilities aging parents face as they make plans for their adult children with disabilities after they are gone.
ALOA’s webinars are free of charge, 60 minutes max. Register in advance at aloaserves.org/events/webinars/. Once you register, you’ll receive a confirmation email with information on how to access the webinar.
Featured Resources for January
We’re excited to share that ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving will continue in 2020. Together, we’ll experience how the grace of Christ moves us to engage in transformative works of love around the world through ELCA World Hunger as God calls us into the ministry of hope, liberation, and restoration. This year, ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving will focus on hope. Even in challenging times, we believe in God, and we hope in the work God is doing in the world.
We invite you to study, pray, and give with us during ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving — for the good of our families, our neighbors, and communities around the world.
Lent is a time of reflection and repentance, of sacrifice and self-examination. But Lent is also a season of hope — hope in the work God is doing in the world, even in the most challenging times.
Safety and stability for refugees and migrants. The renewal of the earth. Sufficient livelihood for all. These are just a few of the things of which we dream, fueled by the Holy Spirit. This Lent, you’re invited to join together with fellow supporters to study, pray, and give during ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving. Accompany us as we journey with our neighbors in hope for a just world where all are fed.
Save the Date
Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive I
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/2019-christmas-eve-message-from-bishop-gronberg/ – published Dec. 24)
(https://www.ntnl.org/the-holy-innocents-reflection-by-martin-luther/ – published Dec. 28)
(https://www.ntnl.org/new-year-greetings-from-the-lutheran-world-federation/ – published Jan. 3)
Where in the world is?
- Jan. 7: Stewardship Team Meeting
- Jan. 12-15: ELCA Youth Gathering Planning Team meeting, Briarwood
- Jan. 9: Interim Pastors meeting, Briarwood
- Jan. 11: Meeting with Bosque County leaders, Trinity, Clifton
- Jan. 12: First Sagrada Familia, Garland
- Jan. 7: NT-NL Stewardship Team meeting
- Jan. 9: African American congregations meeting, St. John’s, Dallas
- Jan. 11: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- Jan. 18-19: NT-NL High School Gathering, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 18-19: 2020 Briarwood Men’s Service Retreat, Argyle, TX
- Jan. 19: Dr. Martin Luther King commemoration, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 25: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 1 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Jan. 25: PLMA Graduation, Arlington, TX
- Jan. 31-Feb. 1: Synod Council meeting, including Deans, Assistant Deans, MEF Board, Argyle, TX
- Feb. 8: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 2 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 11-13: Ignite the Church Conference, Orlando, FL
- Feb. 15: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 3 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 16-18: Texas Interfaith Advocacy Days, Austin, TX
- Feb. 22: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 4 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 22: Discovering Hope: Building Vitality in Your Congregation, Lubbock, TX
- Feb. 22: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- Feb. 28-Mar. 1: NT-NL Peer Ministry Leadership Training, TBA
- Feb. 29: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 5 de 5), Argyle, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.