2020 Mission Support
As your congregation completes 2019 finances and holds annual meetings to approve budgets for 2020, it is helpful for the synod’s planning and stewardship if your treasurer/bookkeeper would complete the 2020 Mission Support intent form available online.
ELCA Young Leaders in Advocacy
Turn-around time is quick. We need applications by January 15, 2020 for the April 2020 event, which is a great opportunity for skill building, experience, and networking.
Young adults with passion and commitment for advocacy are invited to apply by Jan. 15 for an energizing advocacy leadership training hosted April 23-24 by ELCA Advocacy, immediately followed by participation in the Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) gathering and lobby day on Capitol Hill April 24-27. Expenses excluding travel to/from D.C. are covered by scholarship for a small group of young adults ages 18 to 30 to facilitate growth in faith advocacy leadership. Apply from https://forms.gle/BLEaVnkcdncxmSRS6. Participants are asked to commit to a one-year follow-through in a self-selected advocacy project based in ELCA institutions and networks. EAD 2020 will explore the intersection of climate change and economic injustice. In skill building and opportunity, advocacy will be galvanized to speak out for justice. The ELCA is an EAD sponsor.
Find sharable posts on FB, Twitter and Instagram @ELCAadvocacy. Click here for a flyer with more information. Thank you for your consideration!
2020 Homeless Count Night
Why: Help our communities understand the extent of homelessness, changing trends, and the measure of our success in making homelessness rare, brief and nonrecurring. And remind us that everybody counts.
When: January 23, 2020, 7pm-Midnight
Where: Dallas and Collin Counties. Deployment sites vary.
Who: They need 1,500 volunteers, aged 18+, preferably in teams of 4.
Register today at: https://dallas.pointintime.info
Social Media: #dallascounts2020
Featured Resources for January
We’re excited to share that ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving will continue in 2020. Together, we’ll experience how the grace of Christ moves us to engage in transformative works of love around the world through ELCA World Hunger as God calls us into the ministry of hope, liberation, and restoration. This year, ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving will focus on hope. Even in challenging times, we believe in God, and we hope in the work God is doing in the world.
We invite you to study, pray, and give with us during ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving — for the good of our families, our neighbors, and communities around the world.
Lent is a time of reflection and repentance, of sacrifice and self-examination. But Lent is also a season of hope — hope in the work God is doing in the world, even in the most challenging times.
Safety and stability for refugees and migrants. The renewal of the earth. Sufficient livelihood for all. These are just a few of the things of which we dream, fueled by the Holy Spirit. This Lent, you’re invited to join together with fellow supporters to study, pray, and give during ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving. Accompany us as we journey with our neighbors in hope for a just world where all are fed.
Save the Date
Calvary, Richland Hills
This three-session event is part of “Weaving Community: a series of keynotes, workshops, and experiences to connect us.” Selection of which session(s) you’d like to attend is available through the ticketing link: http://thedialoguecompany.com/products-all/anti-racism-allies-their-special-role-in-spreading-compassion-and-creating-equity.
Thursday, 1/30 7-9 pm
Session 1 – Interactive Keynote: How white Allies Can Tap Their Special Superpower in the Anti-racism Movement. Suggested admission price $25
Friday, 1/31 9 am – 12:30 pm
Session 2: introductory Workshop: Dismantling Racism One Conversation at a Time. Suggested admission price $40
Friday, 1/3 1 1:30 pm – 4 pm
Session 3: Going Deeper (session 2 pre-requisite) – Best practices for inviting people into important conversations they tend to avoid. Suggested admission price for sessions 2 and 3 $75 (session 2 is a pre-requisite for session 3)
Discounted bundle pricing for those registering for all three sessions $90
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2894033057328983/
Additional organizers: NT-NL Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice, Kairos Collaborative, The Dialogue Company, LLC – tapping the power of group intelligence, and White Ally Toolkit, an initiative of The Dialogue Company, LLC
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/apply-to-work-at-briarwood/ – published Jan. 8)
(https://www.ntnl.org/bishop-eaton-letter-on-united-methodist-church-relations/ – published Jan. 10)
Where in the world is?
- Jan. 12-15: ELCA Youth Gathering Planning Team meeting, Briarwood
- Jan. 18: Briarwood Journey Trip: Paul and Beyond participants meeting
- Jan. 18-19: NT-NL High School Gathering, Dallas
- Jan. 18-19: 2020 Briarwood Men’s Service Retreat, Argyle
- Jan. 19: Dr. Martin Luther King commemoration, St. John’s, Dallas
- Jan. 15: Church Council meeting, Trinity, Wichita Falls
- Jan. 16: Church Council meeting, Lord of Life, Glenn Heights
- Jan. 16: Good Shepherd, Marshall
- Jan. 18-19: NT-NL High School Gathering, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 18-19: 2020 Briarwood Men’s Service Retreat, Argyle, TX
- Jan. 19: Dr. Martin Luther King commemoration, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 25: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 1 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Jan. 25: PLMA Graduation, Arlington, TX
- Jan. 30-31: Anti-Racism Allies: Spreading Compassion and Creating Equity, Richland Hills, TX
- Jan. 31-Feb. 1: Synod Council meeting, including Deans, Assistant Deans, MEF Board, Argyle, TX
- Feb. 8: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 2 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 11-13: Ignite the Church Conference, Orlando, FL
- Feb. 15: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 3 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 16-18: Texas Interfaith Advocacy Days, Austin, TX
- Feb. 22: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 4 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Feb. 22: Discovering Hope: Building Vitality in Your Congregation, Lubbock, TX
- Feb. 22: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- Feb. 28-Mar. 1: NT-NL Peer Ministry Leadership Training, TBA
- Feb. 29: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 6 (Día 5 de 5), Argyle, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.