Congregational Care-for-Creation Covenant
Did your congregation pray for Earth in April? How can you take those prayers and use them as fuel for new activities, welcoming acts, and money-saving practices for your congregation? Commit to a Congregational Care-for-Creation Covenant through Lutherans Restoring Creation (LRC). The process provides simple actions for existing committees to consider an ecological ethos to their current work. LRC then helps with creating an action plan, offers monthly connection calls, and directs you to local leaders who can help make goals become realities. Contact info@LutheransRestoringCreation.org or Phoebe at 617-599-2722 for more information or to request a covenant kit.
Dignity and grace in the face of mental illness
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than half of Americans will be affected by a mental illness at some point in life. The ELCA has been partnering with organizations that focus on mental health and supporting the development of mental health ministries, including through a new grant program. Last month’s Living Lutheran cover article looks at some of these ministries and how the church is building on its 2012 social message, “The Body of Christ and Mental Illness.”
Read the article and participate in discussion with a corresponding study guide.
Free ALOA Webinars
ALOA has much to offer Lutheran congregations in the area of Older Adult Ministry. Visibility is critical. In addition to the resources on their website, ALOA is offering regular Webinars on key topics for Older Adult Ministry that are practical and free of charge.
June Webinar #1
Seniors in Transition
Wednesday, June 12, 2019
2:00 PM Eastern
Host is Mark Schoepp, Executive Director of ALOA. Mark will interview Chrislyn Carson about “Seniors in Transition” – a resource to help older adults make pro-active decisions about one of the hardest decisions older adults face: where they will live in the later years of life. The Webinar will go over the template to help congregations develop an interactive, eight week class for older adults from the church and community. The series of classes will explore options for staying at home and options for moving to a care facility of some kind.
June Webinar #2
Congregational Health Ministries for Older Adults…and Everyone
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
12:00 PM Eastern
Host Mark Schoepp, Executive Director of ALOA, will interview Colleen Botcher, RN. Colleen is an active Nursing professional who serves a congregation as a volunteer Parish Nurse, and the New Jersey District as Parish Nurse Coordinator. Colleen will provide an overview of Parish nursing and Congregational Health Ministries, centered on Christ’s healing love, stewardship of health, and community outreach – for older adults and any age.
Both webinars are free of charge, 60 minutes max.
Register at aloaserves.org/events/webinars/.
Featured Resources for June
LIRS invites you and your congregation to infuse new meaning into the phrase welcome the stranger.
New resources for observing Migrant and Refugee Sunday are now available at lirs.org/migrant-refugee-sunday. Consider how you might use some of these resources in the weeks of June:
- On Pentecost Sunday, June 9, we hear a story of how diverse peoples, from the far reaches of the earth, are gathered into one people and speak one language through the gift of God’s Spirit.
- June 9 is also designated as Children’s Day. June 16 is observed as Father’s Day. Both days are times to consider families who are on the move, and to respond to Christ’s call to care for all our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- On World Refugee Day, June 20, celebrations throughout the United States and the world commemorate the strength, courage, and resilience of millions of refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide who have been forced to flee their homes due to war, conflict, and persecution.
The all-new resources for Migrant and Refugee Sunday include commentaries written by former refugees for preaching on the lessons for Pentecost, a Pentecost/World Refugee Day Litany, Prayer Petitions for June, and other worship and education materials that will be updated each month. You can also find images, language, and stories to enrich and support your congregation’s call to welcome the stranger and to celebrate our oneness in the body of Christ.
Save the Date
Worship Together Summer Experience
Saturday, June 22, 2:30pm
Several congregations of the Metroplex West Conference are organizing a Worship Together Summer Experience: June 22 (Saturday), beginning at 2.30 pm, and ending with Holden Evening Prayer. There will be multiple musicians/voices/groups from the participating Congregations and light refreshments for the fellowship preceding Holden Evening Prayer (4 pm). Thanks to Calvary Lutheran Church (7620 Baker Blvd, Richland Hills, TX 76118) for hosting this first edition, and to those of the conference helping to organize. All are invited and most welcome to join in worship and fellowship together! A love offering will be collected for The Church of the Damascus Road (prison ministry).
Recent Blog Post
(https://www.ntnl.org/first-call-accompaniment-2/ – published Jun. 1)
Where in the world is?
- Jun. 8: Discovering Hope conference, Shepherd of Life, Arlington
- Jun. 9: Our Savior, Norse – 160th Anniversary
Jun. 5: Briarwood staff training
Jun. 9: Calvary, San Angelo
- Jun. 6: Ethnic Specific Congregations Leaders meeting with Bishop Gronberg, Synod office
- Jun. 7: Renewal Team pre-training “Discovering Hope,” Briarwood Leadership Center
- Jun. 8: Discovering Hope conference, Shepherd of Life, Arlington
- Jun. 9: Faith, Ft. Worth
- Jun. 8: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Jun. 8: MEF Board meeting, Arlington, TX
- Jun. 8: Discovering Hope: Building Vitality in Your Congregation, Arlington, TX
- Jun. 8: East Texas – North Louisiana WELCA “The Gathering”, Mabank, TX
- Jun. 9: “Transforming Discipleship: Faith, Love and Hope after Empire”, Dallas, TX
- Jun. 14-15: “All Times and All Places Praise the Lord” Workshop & Hymn Festival, Fort Worth, TX
- Jun. 22: Worship Together Summer Experience, Richland Hills, TX
- Jun. 29: Better Conversations workshop, Arlington, TX
- Jul. 13: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Aug. 5-10: ELCA Churchwide Assembly, Milwaukee, WI
- Aug. 10: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Aug. 12-15: Intentional Interim Training, Argyle, TX
- Aug. 17: WELCA Annual Women’s/Girl’s Retreat, Grand Prairie, TX
- Aug. 31: ELCA Generosity Project workshop, Keller, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.