NT-NL Young Adults Event
THIS Saturday, March 20, 1-4pm
Bibles, bows, bullseyes, and great physically distanced times with NT-NL young adults!
If you are interested, please email email@example.com. Spaces are limited for this FREE event.
Day of Lament Against anti-Asian Racism
The Asian and Pacific Islander Association of the ELCA recently issued a statement, affirmed by the ELCA Conference of Bishops, calling on the church to declare a day of lament during Lent to express solidarity with, help in healing and support Asian American victims of violence. Sunday, March 21, has been named as the common date, though worshiping communities may choose a different date as appropriate for their context. Worship resources are available:
Ordination of Kimberly Cooper
By the Will of the Holy Spirit
has been called to serve as Pastor at
St. Timothy, Wayne, NJ
Kimberly will be ordained on
Sunday, March 21, at 3:00 p.m. Eastern
at St. Timothy Lutheran Church in Wayne, NJ.
The service will be livestreamed via the church facebook page:
Congregations are invited to pray for
St. Timothy and Pr. Cooper during worship on Sunday, March 21.
Featured Resources for March
Race and Christianity in the United States
A VIDEO SERIES EXPLORING RACE AND RELIGION IN THE UNITED STATES
Offered at NO COST to NT-NL Leaders and Worshiping Communities
ABOUT THE SERIES
Talking about race in the United States is challenging, complicated, and fraught. Even as so much of our lives are affected by race—from where we live to how we vote—we disagree about how big a problem racism is and even how to define it.
This video series provides one lens through which to explore race in the United States. Focusing on the history of black/white relations in the U.S., it considers how race and Christianity have interacted, for good and for ill. It offers a narrative that helps to answer the question “how did we get here?” I hope that by offering a look at our racial past, we will better understand ourselves and be better able to have those challenging, complicated, and fraught conversations our churches and our country need. – Sarah Ruble
ABOUT SARAH RUBLE
I am an associate professor of religion at Gustavus Adolphus College. In addition to teaching (some of the world’s most wonderful) undergraduate students, I lecture in churches and to life-long learning groups. All of that means that I spend a lot of time thinking about how to make the past accessible without making it simplistic. As both a Christian and a historian, I’m always learning, trying to figure out how to make sense of our past and what it means for us today.
Sample Curriculum: Race and Christianity Leaders Guide Introduction with Early Sessions
The full curriculum consists of eight YouTube videos that are 20 to 25 minutes each, as well as a print component that includes questions for discussions and some suggestions about other resources to consult for further exploration. The videos and downloadable curriculum are available on Sarah’s website: sarahruble.com
Here’s the direct link to the series: http://sarahruble.com/episodes/
Where in the world is?
As we continue to navigate the changing realities of Covid-19 and guidelines regarding masking and other restrictions, synod staff will be resuming some in-person events. For those, synod staff will wear masks, and we encourage all in attendance to do so as well.
With the ever-changing guidelines and recommendations in our world right now, as we maintain physical distance in social solidarity, please keep in mind these events may be moved online, postponed, or cancelled:
- Mar. 16: Synod Online Devotion for Lent, Zoom or Facebook
- Mar. 17: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Growing Young: Taking Jesus’ Message Seriously with Rachel Alley, Zoom
- Mar. 17: Lenten Journey: Landscapes of Our Soul, Zoom
- Mar. 18: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Mar. 20: Living Connected Workshop on Creation’s Gift of Land, Online
- Mar. 20: NT-NL Young Adults Spring Archery Event, Briarwood
- Mar. 23: Synod Online Devotion for Lent, Zoom or Facebook
- Mar. 23: Living Connected Workshop on Creation’s Gift of Land, Online
- Mar. 24: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Towards an Even Greater We with Giovana Oaxaca and Mary Campbell, Zoom
- Mar. 24: Lenten Journey: Landscapes of Our Soul, Zoom
- Mar. 25: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Mar. 31: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – TBA with Rev. CeCee Mills, Zoom
- Apr. 1: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Apr. 1: Interim Pastors monthly meeting, Zoom
- Apr. 7: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – TBA, Zoom
- Apr. 8: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Apr. 10: Public Witness Team meeting, Online
- Apr. 11: The Way Forward to Legacy Generosity, Online
- Apr. 13: The Way Forward to Legacy Generosity, Online
- Apr. 14: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – The Eisenhower Matrix (Urgent-Important Matrix) with Rev. Dana Peterson, Zoom
- Apr. 15: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Apr. 15: The Way Forward to Legacy Generosity, Online
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.