NT-NL Leadership Convocation
Registration is now open. ALL ARE WELCOME!
Briarwood Leadership Center, Argyle, TX
Racism (conscious and unconscious, explicit and implied) is a deep problem in American society. We are called to stand against racism. But how? This three-day workshop will help you and your congregations build stronger coalitions for affecting change in your communities and more effectively sharing the Good News of God’s love for the entire world. Click here to learn more about what is planned for our time together.
Our speaker will be Taurean Webb!
The Borderlands as a Political and Religious Reality
The Stalcup School of Theology for the Laity at Brite Divinity School begins a new season with:
Thirteenth Jean and Parker Wilson Seminar
THIS Saturday, September 7, 9:00am-1:45pm
Northway Christian Church, Dallas
Explore the complexity of borderlands and the challenges they present to conventional interpretations of Christianity. This seminar discusses the historical evolution of the U.S.- Mexico border, including the original inhabitants, the making of the Spanish Borderlands, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, and the creation of the political boundary that is now the border. Consideration of the interdependent nature of the two country’s economies lays the foundation for understanding the current economic, social, cultural, and political situation. The day concludes by examining the implications of borderlands on our understanding of Christianity.
Francisco Lozada, Charles Fischer Catholic Associate Professor of New Testament and Latina/o Church Studies, Brite Divinity School, Fort Worth, TX
Irasema Coronado, Director of the School of Transborder Studies, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
To learn more and to register, go to brite.edu/stalcup or call 817.257.7589. Registration is only $35 and includes a light lunch. (Scholarships available)
Model Constitution for Congregations
The English version of the newly amended Model Constitution for Congregations is now available at https://www.elca.org/About/Churchwide/Office-of-the-Secretary/Constitutions. (It’s expected to be on the Office of the Secretary Resources pages this week.) These amendments can be adopted at one meeting with a majority vote of those present and voting if they are in conformity with the model.
Featured Resources for September
And many more!
The ELCA offers a place of welcome for all seeking a congregational home. Your congregation can extend an invitation to neighbors and the surrounding community through the use of these customizable communications tools for Christmas in English and Spanish. Download and use these free tools today.
Save the Date
Thursday, October 3, 11:00am-1:30pm
Recent Blog Post
(https://www.ntnl.org/sarah-derrick-ordained/ – published Aug. 26)
Where in the world is?
- No visits planned this week
- Sep. 3: Meeting with East Dallas congregations at Bethany, Dallas
- Sep. 8: Gloria Dei and Ascension, Garland
- Sep. 3-4: Partner Synod Project gathering, Chicago, IL
- Sep. 5: Good Shepherd, Marshall
- Sep. 7: Discovering Hope: Building Vitality in Your Congregation, Grace, Abilene
- Sep. 7: Discovering Hope: Building Vitality in Your Congregation, Abilene, TX
- Sep. 7: The Borderlands as a Political and Religious Reality, Dallas, TX
- Sep. 8: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday
- Sep. 9: Boundary Training: Healthy Relationships in Ministry, Fort Worth, TX
- Sep. 9: The Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing, Fort Worth, TX
- Sep. 13: Briarwood Golf Outing, Flower Mound, TX
- Sep. 14: PLMA, Fall 2019, Course 1, Argyle, TX
- Sep. 14: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Sep. 19-21: 2019 Synod Council and Conference Deans Retreat and MEF Board meeting, Argyle, TX
- Sep. 20-21: The Art of Resilience: Latinx Public Witness for Troubled Times, Dallas, TX
- Sep. 20-22: Middle School Retreat, Argyle, TX
- Sep. 20-22: 2019 Addiction and Faith Conference, Bloomington, MN
- Sep. 27: 2019 Symposium: Suicide Prevention in Faith Communities, Dallas, TX
- Sep. 28: Panhandle Conference: Mental Health and Faith, Lubbock, TX
- Sep. 30-Oct. 2: 2019 Stewardship Kaleidoscope, San Diego, CA
- Oct. 3: The Ninth Annual Herbener Lecture: Reading Romans in the Face of Economic Injustice, Dallas, TX
- Oct. 7-9: Engaging Anti-Racism for the Wholeness of the Church: 2019 NT-NL Leadership Convocation, Argyle, TX
- Oct. 11-13: 2019 W-ELCA NT-NL SWO Retreat, Merkel, TX
- Oct. 12: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Oct. 13: Festival of Church Music, Dallas, TX
- Oct. 13-16: National Council of Churches Christian Unity Gathering, Hampton, VA
- Oct. 13-18: Ministerial Flourishing: Exploring the Meaning, Means and Practices, Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
- Oct. 19: PLMA, Fall 2019, Course 2, Argyle, TX
- Oct. 19: MEF “Seeds That Change” FUNdraiser and Celebration, Arlington, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.