This week we pray for:
Our Redeemer in Grand Prairie (Pr. Kathi Johnson)
Resurrection in Haslett
2016 TX/LA Tri-Synodical Theological Conference
If you don’t get The Lutheran at home, you may have missed this great piece by Ann Hafften (Messiah, Weatherford), member of the NT-NL Public Witness for Peace and Justice Team, in this month’s issue of The Lutheran!
Pr. Doris Dupree Harris (St. John’s, Dallas, a predominantly Black congregation) and Pr. ChuckHubbard (Gloria Dei, Garland, a predominantly white congregation) have been leading their congregations in Courageous Conversations about Racism. Read more here.
Confronting Racism: A Holy Yearning
Did your congregation gather to watch the webcast (either live, or at a later time)? What were your thoughts on it? How are you engaging in these courageous, difficult conversations? If you have a story to share, please email MissionOffice@ntnl.org!
Read how others across the ELCA are doing God’s work with their hands in Stories of Faith in Action. Have a story to share about how your congregation or ministry is living their DiscipleLife? Let us know! MissionOffice@ntnl.org.
Thursday, Jan. 21 • 7:00 p.m. CST
University Park United Methodist Church
The Dallas Area of The United Methodist Church will host an Ecumenical Celebration of the Word of God on Thursday, Jan. 21st at 7:00 p.m. as part of our observance of the 2016 Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. This year’s theme is “Called to Proclaim the Mighty Acts of the Lord.”
The service will take place at University Park United Methodist Church (4024 Caruth Blvd. (at Preston), Dallas 75225). The Reverend Dr. William B. Lawrence, Dean of Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University will deliver the message. A time of fellowship and refreshment will follow the service.
Feb. 26-27 • Briarwood Retreat Center
This event is designed to be useful to new and veteran congregation council members. Cost is $60, or $25 to attend Saturday only.
Register at ntnl.org/2016-congregational-council-retreat.
Attention Treasurers: New Financial Procedures!
The mission area is moving to a new system of accounting where the ELCA Mission Investment Fund will handle all of our check writing, recording of Mission Support, and financial reporting; this will save us money and make things more efficient.
A mailing from MIF’s Synod Financial Services will be coming to you soon (if you have not received it already). Please alert your financial leadership of the changes to come regarding submitting your Mission Support. The new system comes online February 1, 2016.
Please join us at Briarwood on Saturday, Feb. 27 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. for a special session on best practices for church finances and an introduction to the new financial procedures. Find more information at ntnl.org/newfinancialprocedures.
Feb. 28-Mar. 1 • Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Austin
Sponsored by Poverty & Justice Task Force of ELCA’s Southwestern Texas Synod
Participating ELCA Synods: Southwestern Texas, Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana, Texas Louisiana Gulf Coast. Program planned by Texas Impact.
Aug. 10-13 • New Orleans, LA
The 500th anniversary of the Reformation is an opportunity to rejoice in the life-giving, liberating power of the gospel. As part of the observance, we invite you to attend the Grace Gathering, in partnership with the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
All are welcomed and encouraged to attend! Early bird registration ends January 31! To learn more and register, please visit: elca.org/GraceGathering.
Thinking of starting a Fair Trade ministry? (Or, do you already have one, and would like some help?) Lutheran World Relief has a great, free resource for you called the Fair Trade Leader Guide.
Order or download it now!
The Seminary Sampler is a three-day visit event being held February 28-March 1 and designed to give prospective students a taste of LSTC life. Here they will have the opportunity to discern with other prospective students a call to ministry and how LSTC might be the place for them.
Housing and meals are covered, and travel reimbursement are available. For more information, visit lstc.edu/admissions/visit/sampler.
Thursday, April 7 at 7:30 p.m. • Kinsmen Lutheran Church, 12100 Champion Forest Dr., Houston
Friday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. • St. Peter Lutheran Church, 100 N. Promenade St., Hallettsville
Tuesday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m. • TLU Chapel of the Abiding Presence, 1000 W. Court St., Seguin
Learn more at tlu.edu/choirtour
The Naming Form for Potential Nominees is now open. Please submit names by January 31.
Meetings in conferences about election and with Potential Nominees
- Saturday, Feb. 6, 11:30 a.m. at Grace, Abilene – Conference Out West
- Tuesday, Feb. 16, 10:00-noon at King of Glory, Dallas – Eastern Mission Conference (new combined East Dallas and ETX-NLA Conference)
- Saturday, Feb. 20 – Dallas Area Metro North Conference
- Saturday, Mar. 12 – Panhandle Conference
- Saturday, Apr. 9 at the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Mission Center at Briarwood – Metro West Conference
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Jan. 23-24: Lumberjack Retreat
- Jan. 25-27: Tri-Synodical Theological Leadership Conference
- Feb. 6: Conference Out West conversation with Potential Nominees for Bishop
- Feb. 16: Eastern Mission Conference conversation with Potential Nominees for Bishop
- Feb. 19-21: Peer Ministry Leadership Event
- Feb. 20: Dallas Area Metro North Conference conversation with Potential Nominees for Bishop
- Feb. 26-27: Congregational Council Retreat
- Feb. 28: Bold Women’s Day
- Mar. 12: Panhandle Conference conversation with Potential Nominees for Bishop
- Apr. 5-7: Young at Heart Retreat
- Apr. 9: Metro West Conference conversation with Potential Nominees for Bishop
- Apr. 22-24: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- May 14: Briarwood Gala
- May 29-Jun. 3: LSPS Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Level I Intensive
- Jun. 12-17: LSPS Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry Level II Intensive
- Jun. 20-30: Lands of Luther Tour
- Aug. 10-13: ELCA Grace Gathering
- Sept. 11: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Sept. 17: Installation of the new NT-NL Bishop
- Oct. 17-19: 2016 Bishop’s Convocation
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to the Mission Area office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo!