Healing Hands in Sierra LeoneWe received the following email from Bruce Moilan (Grace, Carrollton), who was instrumental in coordinating NT-NL’s Ebola relief efforts through the Brother’s Brother Foundation.
I visited the Lutheran Clinic today in Sierra Leone. There is a full time doctor, trained here is Sierra Leone, who works there full time. Patient population he serves is about 7,400. His clinic isn’t well stocked so I gave him the medical equipment (BP machine, pulse ox monitor, electronic thermometer, etc) I brought with me and also gave him $50 on behalf of Grace Lutheran for a bag of rice.
Next week I travel to remote clinics and villages. Will keep in touch with you.
Bruce A. Moilan, Sr.
Thank you for your generous donations to our companion synod through the years, and specifically to Ebola relief in the last year. Your gifts are saving lives!
Read how others across the ELCA are doing God’s work with their hands in Stories of Faith in Action. Have a story to share about how your congregation or ministry is living their DiscipleLife? Let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org.
For there is neither Apple nor Android, Windows nor Blackberry… we are all one in Christ!
On Reformation Sunday, Oct. 25, let’s share how Jesus is Good News online and off! Find more information here, or join the Facebook Group for Social Media Sunday 2015. And don’t forget to use the hashtag #SMS15!
Monday, Oct. 26 • 7:30 p.m. CDT
2016 Mission Endowment Fund Grants due October 31!
You still have time to apply! Find more information at ntnl.org/mef-grants
Sunday, Nov. 15 • 4:00-7:30 p.m. CDT
Briarwood Retreat Center
Download the ELCA Refugee Sunday Toolkit and more at refugeesunday.lirs.org.
Celebrate the Reformation in
Next summer is a great time to visit the Lands of Luther, especially in light of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation coming up in 2017.
Join Bishop Kevin Kanouse for the 11-day tour June 20-30, 2016, which will include stops in Augsburg, Frankfurt, Erfurt, Eisleben, Wittenberg, Rhine Valley, Warburg, Berlin, and Munich.
Find more information at ntnl.org/lutherlands-2016-tour.
Emergency Offering Opportunity
We are still seeking donations for the Mosaic offices in Corsicana, TX after they lost all of their computer equipment during a storm.
You can make a donation through your congregation or send your checks to the mission office (Christ Evangelical Lutheran Mission Center, 680 Copper Canyon Rd., Argyle, TX 76226), designated for “Mosaic in Corsicana.”
February 26-27, 2016
Briarwood Retreat Center
For more information, visit decembersabbath.org.
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Oct. 21: TLU Brown Distinguished Lecture: Garrison Keillor
- Oct. 23-25: Lutheran Men in Mission’s One Year To Live Retreat
- Oct. 25: Social Media Sunday #SMS15
- Oct. 26: An Evening with Presiding Bishop Eaton
- Oct. 26-28: 2015 Bishop’s Convocation: NT-NL Welcomes Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton
- Nov. 2: Portico Pre-Retirement Seminar
- Nov. 13-15: Divergent – Jr. High Gathering 2015
- Nov. 15: Lutheran Campus Ministry Trivia Challenge
- Nov. 20-21: Region 4 Global Mission/World Hunger Leaders Consultation
- Nov. 22: Refugee Sunday
- Dec. 4-6, 13: TLU Christmas Vespers
- Jan. 15-17, 2016: NT-NL High School Service Weekend
- Jan. 25-27, 2016: Tri-Synodical Theological Leadership Conference
- Feb. 19-21, 2016: Peer Ministry Leadership Event
- Feb. 26-27, 2016: Congregational Council Retreat
- Apr. 22-24, 2016: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- May 29-Jun. 3, 2016: LSPS Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Level I Intensive
- Jun. 12-17, 2016: LSPS Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry Level II Intensive
- Jun. 20-30, 2016: Lands of Luther Tour
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (email@example.com) for consideration for our next NT-NL News. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo! p