In Mission Together
We love hearing and sharing stories of our worshiping communities partnering with others to serve our local communities! #InMissionTogether
(Photos by Sabrina Forse Tatsch,San Angelo Life | Styles)
Check out this article in the Summer 2017 edition of San Angelo Life | Styles magazine. Repurposing for a Purpose: Calvary Lutheran Church and Mosaic clients make sleeping mats for the homeless from plastic bags.
Widow’s Mite Well
In Luke 21, Jesus and his disciples observe a widow giving two small coins to the temple treasury. Jesus praises her for giving all that she has in order to help those who have even less. Inspired by the widow at the temple, Ed and Rennie Scharlau decided to use funds left to them by Rennie’s stepmother to sponsor a well-building campaign through Austin-based organization Water to Thrive, of which Ed is on the Board of Directors. They want supporters to use their “small coin” donations to honor the widows in their lives, as well as help build accessible wells for those who need them. All contributions to the “Widow’s Mite” well-building campaign are being matched dollar to dollar by the funds left by Rennie’s stepmother. The Scharlaus hope to raise $5,000 for the well, with leftover matching dollars to be used for future wells. Click here to read more. Click here to donate.
ELCA Federal Credit Union
We are excited about the positive financial impact the ELCA Federal Credit Union is having on our members’ lives. We invite you to watch our new video that explains how credit unions operate—and how we are helping our members do more with their money. Please feel free to share this video with members or employees of our congregations, synods, and ministries; they are also eligible to enjoy the many great benefits of belonging to our credit union.
Featured Resources for October
Did you know there are a plethora of resources available to us via the ELCA website?
From Advocacy to Bible Studies, from Caring for Creation to Congregational Communications Tools, from Financial and Grants to Human Resources and Risk Management, from ELCA World Hunger to Lutheran Disaster Response, from Mission Planning and Racial Justice to Stewardship and Worship, and SO MUCH MORE!
You can also hover over the Resources tab toward the top of the website for even more options!
Save the Date
Looking for a fun evening out? Want a great meal? Enjoy testing your knowledge? Care about young adults? These all come together in the Lutheran Campus Ministry Trivia Challenge, November 19, at 4p.m. at Briarwood Retreat Center. All funds generated go to the NT-NL Campus Ministry Mission Fund, benefitting Lutheran Campus Ministry around the NT-NL Synod.
Form your team of 8 and design table décor that reflects a ministry of your congregation or some aspect of campus ministry. Or simply go for creativity. Then register for lots of fun. Our meal is being catered by Chef Carlos Carrasquillo. For more information, contact Pastor Celene Welch (817/269-1229 or email@example.com).
Where in the world is?
- Oct. 27 – Reformation Event, King of Glory, Dallas
- Oct. 28 – Organ Dedication, Calvary, Richland Hills
- Oct. 29 – German Reformation Service, First United, Dallas
- Oct. 24-26 – Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary, Berkeley, CA
- Oct. 29 – Trinity, Miles
- Oct. 18-27 – Lima, Peru: 500th Reformation Celebration, presenting Spanish Coaching, and visiting a couple of Lutheran Congregations in Cusco
- Oct. 23: A Reformation for all the People: How Printed Works Spread the Reformation (SMU | Perkins)
- Oct. 24-25: What Did Martin Luther Change, and Why? (Truett | Baylor)
- Oct. 25: Chapel Service & Public Lecture with Kathleen Norris (TLU)
- Oct. 27-29: Reformation Celebration & Festival (King of Glory, Dallas)
- Oct. 28: A Screening of “Luther” (Christ, Dallas)
- Oct. 29: Reformation Sunday Bilingual German-English Worship Service (First United, Dallas)
- Oct. 29: Reformation Concert (Christ the Servant, Allen)
- Oct. 31: Chapel Service: Reformation with Bishop Gronberg (Brite | TCU)
- Oct. 31: Looking Back & Called Forward: ELCA 500
- Nov. 4-5: North Texas Reformation Celebration
- Nov. 10: (RE)FORMATION: a Film by Shannon Ivey (TLU)
- Nov. 11: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Nov. 13: Free Lecture with Anne Lamott
- Nov. 13-14: The Power of the Story: Perkins Fall Convocation on Creative Communication
- Nov. 14-16: Young at Heart Retreat
- Nov. 18: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 3
- Nov. 18: MEF Board meeting
- Nov. 19: Lutheran Campus Ministry Trivia Challenge
- Through Dec. 15: Bridwell Library Exhibition: Martin Luther in the Age of Print (SMU | Perkins)
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.