Strategic Direction, Goal Three
Called Forward Together in Christ: ELCA Strategic Directions 2025
Our strategic directions
ELCA Strategic Directions 2025 tells the story of the church we are becoming – a church that is confident about who we are in Christ and what God is calling us to do. The directions are presented in three parts: The ELCA – who we are; What unites us as church; and, Our goals and priorities.
Here’s a preview of the THIRD goal: An inviting and welcoming church that reflects and embraces the diversity of our communities and the gifts and opportunities that diversity brings
PRIORITY AREAS FOR ACTION:
An outwardly focused church
Theological and cultural competence of leaders
Church leadership profile
Addressing discrimination and oppression
ELCA Youth Gathering
It is time to start planning for the 2018 ELCA YOUTH GATHERING!
The mission of the ELCA Youth Gathering is faith formation in high school age youth! It is being held in Houston, Texas, June 27 – July 1, 2018. The 2018 Gathering theme is “This Changes Everything,” which is based on Ephesians 2:8 “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.”
The NT-NL Synod had 414 participants from 35 congregations in Detroit in 2015, and we expect even more for Houston! We are going to have special activities before and during the gathering for our AWESOME NT-NL YOUTH! Some of these include:
- Pre Gathering Event
- NT-NL Youth Meal in Houston
- A few surprises too
Congregations need to contact Janelle Miller and let her know your Primary Leader if your group is even thinking about going to The Gathering so we can start getting details directly to you! Bishop Gronberg will be leading a synod group for those churches with less than 3 youth and no adult chaperone. See flyer for more details.
Congregations that do not have youth to send to The Gathering are asked to identify a Houston Prayer Team Coordinator and get that information to Janelle.
Click here for a flyer with more details, important dates, etc.
Contact Information for NT-NL Youth Gathering Team:
- Gathering Synod Coordinator is Janelle Miller (email@example.com) 817-726-7031
- Synod Day Coordinator is Christian Marbach (firstname.lastname@example.org) 254-421-8450
Consult with your pastor(s) and council. Add your church’s name to the list and BE #visible! –> convergenceus.org/visible
Featured Resource for April
Luther’s Small Catechism Anniversary Study Edition is now available in Enlarged Print.
Offers a translation of Luther’s explanations along with other catechetical helps, such as prayers, worship rites, and Luther’s introduction. NRSV and Evangelical Lutheran Worship texts are used for the wording of the Ten Commandments, Lord’s Prayer, Apostles’ Creed, and the included worship rites. Includes a revised introduction by Timothy Wengert and features illustrations by Roman Catholic artist Gertrud Mueller Nelson. Size: 8.5 X 11
“What Does This Mean?”
Luther’s Small Catechism and Spanish El Catecismo Menor de Lutero are also available in a FREE mobile app. Content from the Study Edition is available as an in-app purchase. Search “Catechism” in the Apple or Google app stores, or DOWNLOAD HERE.
Save the Date
Saturday, May 6
Texas Star Golf & Conference Centre
Cocktails & Registration begin at 5:30pm
Where in the world is?
- Apr. 9 – Advent, Arlington
- Apr. 9 – Bethany, Dallas (home congregation)
- Apr. 4-5 – Future Direction Table team meeting with Presiding Bishop Eaton, Chicago
- Apr. 8 – Teaching PLMA Stewardship to Spanish class, Briarwood
- Apr. 9 – Grace, Carrollton
- Apr. 4-6: Young at Heart Retreat (Briarwood)
- Apr. 7-9: NT-NL Family Retreat
- Apr. 8: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 2
- Apr. 8: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Apr. 23: Briarwood Quarterly Brunch
- Apr. 27-28: Mission / Synod Council Meeting
- Apr. 28-30: 2017 Mission / Synod Assembly
- Apr. 29: Assembly Worship Service (open to the public)
- May 4-6: “Go Baptize, Make Disciples” Catechumenate Training Institute
- May 6: Briarwood Annual Gala
- May 13: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- May 13: BRIDGES Book Club (joint event)
- May 20: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 3
- May 20: Mission Endowment Fund board meeting
- May 28 – Jun. 2: Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive I
- Jun. 10: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Jun. 11-16: Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!