Lutheran Response to Charlottesville
Nothing good ever comes of violence. – Martin Luther
White supremacy has no place in the kingdom of God, only the love and healing of the reign of the Prince of Peace. – ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton
We follow Christ and serve our neighbor. We reject white supremacy and racism. We have much work left ahead of us. Pray! – ELCA Vice President Bill Horne
Saturday, August 12, over a dozen Rostered Ministers of the Virginia Synod, Bishop Mauney, Bishop-elect Humphrey, and his wife Barbra Humphrey joined in a peaceful march with Charlottesville clergy and religious leaders of Virginia ahead of the Unite the Right rally. The march was organized by the Charlottesville Clergy Collective with the goal to provide a positive witness in Charlottesville and not to engage with those present for the Unite the Right Rally…. There was peace and witness present this day in Charlottesville that ultimately and tragically fell to fear and violence, leading to three deaths and numerous injuries caused by clashes…. Wednesday, August 16, thousands more marched against racism and violence as students and faculty gathered in a candlelight vigil to “take back the lawn” in an effort of healing for this college town following days of confrontation and tragedy.
We continue to pray for Charlottesville, for its community and congregations, for its authorities and first responders. We pray for the families who lost loved ones, and for those who were injured on the 12th. We pray for strength and witness to continue to reject the hatred and discrimination of white supremacy.
Join the clergy conversation about racial justice on Twitter at #CvilleClergyCall and #ELCA4Justice
Afraid No More
August 22 Webcast
In this one-hour webcast, you’ll learn about some of what’s being done to turn the tables and take our Christian faith farther in these times of terrifying danger and breath-taking opportunity – and you’ll find ways you can join the movements brewing under the surface or make your movement more effective.
Safe & Healthy Churches: Ending Family Violence
Register online at http://www.faithtrustinstitute.org/front-page/training/safe-and-healthy-churches-2017 by September 1, 2017.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Clare at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 634-1903 ext. 26.
Featured Resources for August
A reminder that the ELCA has legal resources available on its website at http://elca.org/en/Resources/Legal. The resources include information on some of the most common legal issues faced by congregations, such as employees and volunteers, tax, misconduct, property, and financial issues. While not a substitute for legal advice, these resources can help point you in the right direction.
Save the Date
Advent Lutheran, Arlington
October 7, 12n – 5pm
Recent Blog Post
(https://www.ntnl.org/nar-get-god-wok-mission-together/ published Aug. 15)
Where in the world is?
- Aug. 27 – Ordination of Kate Knutson, Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN
- Aug. 27 – St. Olaf, Cranfills Gap
- Aug. 21 – New/Renewal Team meeting, Good Shepherd, Irving
- Aug. 21-26 – Spanish Coaching Team meeting and Mission Developers and Redevelopers Training, Denver, CO
- Aug. 27 – Installation of Pr. Cindy Carroll, Emanuel, Dallas
- Aug. 26: NT-NL SWO Board Meeting
- Sep. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Sep. 10: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday (ELCA Day of Service)
- Sep. 12: “Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World” airing on PBS
- Sep. 12-13: Unauthorized: Nevertheless, She Preached
- Sep. 16: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 1
- Sep. 18: Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing and Fundraiser
- Sep. 21-23: Synod Council meeting
- Sep. 23: Briarwood Climbing Wall Dedication
- Sep. 25: Revisiting Luther’s 95 Theses (Luther Center of North Texas)
- Sep. 29-Oct. 1: Junior High Retreat
- Oct. 7: Briarwood Fall Festival and Thrivent Cooking for Christ Cook-off
- Oct. 7: Celebración de la Reforma
- Oct. 13-15: NT-NL SWO Fall Retreat
- Oct. 14: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Oct. 15-16: Harmony Conference
- Oct. 15-17: Bishop’s Convocation
- Oct. 20: Briarwood’s Golf Outing
- Oct. 21: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 2
- Oct. 21: MEF “Seeds That Change” Dinner / Fundraiser
- Oct. 31: Brite Divinity School chapel service: Reformation with Bishop Gronberg
- Oct. 31: Looking Back & Called Forward: ELCA 500
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.