Welcome the stranger
(Image crJulio Cortez / AP)
On the base of the Statue of Liberty are these words: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
…America has long been a home for refugees and immigrants.
In the first five books of the Jewish and Christian scriptures the command to welcome the stranger is repeated 35 times, more than any other commandment.
Click this link to read the full article in the Star-Telegram co-authored by NT-NL Bishop Gronberg: Faith leaders plead for refugees ‘seeking light in the midst of a darkened world’
Whose Work Is It?
In her February column for Living Lutheran, ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton lifts up the need for well-trained pastors and deacons. Where do we find these potential leaders? She says it’s the “work of the entire church.” You can read her column in English at http://www.livinglutheran.org/2017/02/its-not-what-we-do/ or in Spanish at http://www.livinglutheran.org/2017/02/no-es-lo-que-hacemos/.
Request from Briarwood
The Ministry Team at Briarwood Retreat Center is striving to grow and enhance its ministry to better serve the congregations of NT-NL and the surrounding community. To guide this growth and development, the Briarwood Board of Directors authorized a team to develop a Long Range Strategic Plan.
To help with the planning process, a short online survey has been created, and you are invited to complete the survey at your earliest convenience. Your feedback is important, and your participation in this survey will help shape our future. All answers will be compiled by a third party and reported anonymously to the leadership of Briarwood.
Feel free to share this link with your congregation, your family, and friends. The greater the number of survey participants, the greater the value of the information provided by the survey:
(Survey closes on Thursday, February 16.)
We are very excited about the future development of Briarwood’s ministry, and we thank everyone for participating in the survey.
As members of the ELCA, we believe that we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. God uses our hands, through our direct service work and our voices, through our advocacy efforts, to restore and reconcile our world. Through faithful advocacy, the ELCA lives out our Lutheran belief that governments can help advance the common good.
ELCA Advocacy works for change in public policy based on the experience of Lutheran ministries, programs and projects around the world and in communities across the United States. We work through political channels on behalf of the following biblical values: peacemaking, hospitality to strangers, care for creation, and concern for people living in poverty and struggling with hunger and disease.
Save the Date
May 28 – June 2
(Register by February 28.)
The Summer Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive is a resource for Lutherans and those of other denominations who recognize the growing need for competency in the Spanish language and an understanding of Hispanic culture in light of the increasing Hispanic population in this country and in the church. The course focuses on study of the Spanish language and Hispanic culture.
Where in the world is?
- Feb. 12-14 – “Called to be Light” 2017 Lutheran Legislative Event (Texas Impact)
- Feb. 19 – Our Savior, Durant
- Feb. 11-15 – Bishop’s Associate Gathering
- Feb. 18 – Conference Out West meeting
- Feb. 16 – Meetings with Stewardship Team and Renewal Team, Briarwood
- Feb. 19-21 – Latino Coaching Team meeting, Chicago
- Feb. 19-21: LSTC Seminary Sampler
- Feb. 25: North Texas Senior Fest 2017 (ALOA)
- Feb. 25: Creation Care and Climate Change: It’s About the Kids! (childcare available)
- Feb. 26: BASE Camp Open House (Briarwood)
- Mar. 3-5: NT-NL Peer Ministry Leadership Training (grades 9-12)
- Mar. 3-5: NT-NL Lenten Retreat (grades 4-6)
- Mar. 11: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Mar. 12: OutLast Youth LGBTQ youth homelessness awareness event
- Mar. 18: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 1
- Mar. 25: Dallas Area Metro North SWO Retreat
- Apr. 4-6: Young at Heart Retreat (Briarwood)
- Apr. 7-9: NT-NL Family Retreat
- Apr. 8: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 2
- Apr. 8: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Apr. 23: Briarwood Quarterly Brunch
- Apr. 27-28: Mission / Synod Council Meeting
- Apr. 28-30: 2017 Mission / Synod Assembly
- Apr. 29: Assembly Worship Service (open to the public)
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!