Mission Builders opportunity
Mission Builders will be helping build one of the first structures for an ELCA Latino congregation in about 10 years—Cristo Rey Lutheran Church in Columbia, S.C. The structure will be approximately 5,000 square feet and will serve one of the fastest-growing congregations in the state. Construction activities start Jan. 15, and work is expected to continue into spring. With interest or questions, email Bill Graves, director of Mission Builders, at email@example.com.
Stories of Faith in Action
Inspire, thank, and educate with Stories of Faith in Action
Stories of Faith in Action is a free, annual publication that highlights how we are church together through your Mission Support offering. Each year, ELCA congregations set aside a percentage of their finances for Mission Support, which is shared by synods and the churchwide organization. Stories of Faith in Action shows the impact of ministries funded by Mission Support. Visit ELCA.org/SOFIA now to:
- Order free copies of Stories of Faith in Action to be delivered to your congregation. (All you cover is shipping!)
- Access videos associated with stories from this year’s edition.
- Download an electronic copy of Stories of Faith in Action.
- Download an electronic copy of the “Where Does my Offering Go?” resource (or order printed copies).
ELCA YouTube Channel
View the ELCA’s video library on YouTube for stories of ministry and resources for education.
Featured Resources for December
The holidays can be a tough time for many, especially those grieving.
What Faith Communities Can Do to Prevent Suicide
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free, and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
Our mission is inclusive and interfaith. Our goal is zero suicides for all peoples, no matter their beliefs.
Save the Date
January 13, 2-4pm
Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made the good conFESsion in the presence of many witnesses. – 1 Timothy 6:12
- A short worship service with a message from the bishop.
- A photo for each confirmation class taken with the bishop.
- A ministry fair with information and involvement opportunities from synod and ELCA ministries.
- Food, of course!
The goals are for confirmation students to:
- get to know the bishop and youth from other congregations,
- learn about our wider church and how to get involved,
- worship, and
- have fun!
Congregations are invited to register your whole confirmation class, including teachers and adult advisers.
Where in the world is?
- Dec 29 – Jan 2: Visiting Family
- Jan. 6: Central, Dallas
- Dec. 24 – Jan. 4: Holy Days and Vacation
- Jan. 5-6: Beautiful Savior, Amarillo
- Jan. 4-6: Women, Word, and Wine Retreat 2019, Briarwood
- Jan. 12: Una introducción a El Proyecto de la Generosidad, Alvarado, TX
- Jan. 12: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Jan. 13: ConFESt: Confirmands’ Afternoon with the Bishop, Dallas, TX
- Jan. 17: Boundaries Training, Briarwood
- Jan. 26: Seminario sobre la homosexualidad y sus diferentes facetas, Farmers Branch, TX
- Jan. 26-27: Men’s Lumberjack Retreat, Briarwood
- Jan. 28-30: Tri-Theological Conference, Galveston, TX
- Jan. 31 – Feb. 3: IGNITE: North Texas 2019 (ALDE), Grapevine, TX
- Feb. 8-9: Synod Council meeting, Briarwood
- Feb. 9: MEF Board meeting, Briarwood
- Feb. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Feb. 16-17: Junior High Gathering & Group Dynamix, Carrollton, TX
- Feb. 23: Senior Fest 2019 (ALOA), Plano, TX
- Mar. 1-3: Peer Ministry (9th-12th grades), Fort Worth, TX
- Mar. 9: PLMA, Spring 2019, Course 1, Briarwood
- Mar. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Mar. 17-19: Lutheran Legislative Days, Austin, TX
- Mar. 28: Interfaith Advocacy Day, Austin, TX
- Mar. 30: Dallas Area Metro North conference retreat, Carrollton, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.