Pray. Fast. Act.
PRAY with American Indians and Alaska Natives of the ELCA as they are empowered by the Holy Spirit to serve and love their neighbor, promote healing and wholeness within themselves, the church, society and the Earth.
FAST to focus our own minds and aelcactions on the ongoing injustices that are inflicted upon tribal governments and individual American Indians and Alaska Natives; and
ACT by urging our elected representatives to continue funding programs that support and protect American Indians and Alaska Natives.
February Action: Uplift Indigenous People
As Lutherans, we are called to “seek sufficient, sustainable livelihood for all,” and to ensure that all God’s children are cared for. American Indians and Alaska Natives have been and still are subjected to various forms of physical and social injustices. As members of our congregations and communities, we owe them our support. Let us lift our voices and ask our members of Congress to protect funding for American Indians and Alaska Native programs that provide relief, promote public safety, and support a meaningful livelihood.
Here’s how to equip yourself and your congregation to #PrayFastAct on February 21:
- Read the February advocacy resource to learn how ELCA Advocacy is urging the U.S. government to address the needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
- Visit ELCA.org/PrayFastAct to watch a message from The Rev. Elizabeth Eaton, presiding bishop of the ELCA.
- Read the testimony of the National Congress of American Indians before the House Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies expressing on behalf Native Americans and Alaska Natives the need for public safety and business support.
- Look out for the #PrayFastAct action alert on Wednesday, February 21, and join us as we pray, fast and advocate together.
Vote for Briarwood
Visit livingmagazine.net/bestof2018 to vote for Briarwood as the best Summer Camp in Flower Mound! Voting closes March 15.
Concordia College Choir Tour
The choir from Concordia College (ELCA) in Moorhead, MN, will be touring our synod and the surrounding area:
March 1 – Shreveport, LA
March 2 – Houston, TX
March 3 – Austin, TX
March 4 – Corpus Christi, TX
March 6 – Temple, TX
March 7 – Oklahoma City, OK
Featured Resources for February
The gathering is June 27 – July 1 in Houston, TX. Contact JanelleMiller@yahoo.com with questions.
Save the Date
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/leadership-transition-at-briarwood/ – published Feb. 15)
(https://www.ntnl.org/synod-council-and-plma-graduation/ – published Feb. 16)
Where in the world is?
- Feb. 25 – First, Longview
- Feb. 22 – Youth Leaders lunch
- Feb. 24 – Bosque County leaders, Our Savior’s, Norse
- Feb. 25 – Immanuel, Killeen
- Feb. 19-20 – Spanish Coaching Team, Houston, TX
- Feb. 21-24 – Mission Developers and Redevelopers Training, Houston, TX
- Feb. 24: Senior Fest 2018 (AOLA)
- Feb. 25-27: LSTC Seminary Sampler
- Feb. 26-27: ELCA Coach Training
- Mar. 2-4: Spring Retreat for 4th, 5th, & 6th graders
- Mar. 2-4: Peer Ministry (9th-12th graders)
- Mar. 9-10: The Role of the Church in Undoing Racism
- Mar. 17: PLMA Spring 2018, Course 1
- Apr. 3-5: Pathways to Generosity: Signs of Hope
- Apr. 3-5: ACT Now! Unite to End Racism, Washington, DC
- Apr. 6-8: Pre-Gathering Event (youth)
- Apr. 20-22: Family Retreat (all ages)
- Apr. 21: PLMA Spring 2018, Course 2
- Apr. 21: 2018 Regional Interfaith Conference, Lubbock
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.