Gathering, word, meal, sending | La reunión, la palabra, la cena, y el envío
In her June column for Living Lutheran, ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton reflects on why we worship: “[Liturgy is] a discipline Lutherans willingly undertake because it helps individuals and the entire community express our connection with other Christians throughout the world and across the ages.” Read her column in English: Gathering, word, meal and sending, o lee su columna en español: La reunión, la palabra, la cena, y el envío.
Youth and Young Adults grants at work throughout the ELCA
Last fall, the ELCA Youth and Young Adults program launched its second round of innovation grants, offering support to programs that focus on faith formation, developing and multiplying young leaders, collaboration and creativity, engaging youth and young adults of color and accompanying communities, and persons living in poverty. With your support of the campaign, 26 programs received a total of $731,000 in funding for youth and young adult ministries through this grant cycle!
Stewardship as Discipleship
Thrivent Financial has published a 31-page study on the basic biblical pillars (or principles) that larger denominations, stewardship organizations, and megachurches use to guide their financial stewardship practices. Download “Stewardship as Discipleship” here.
Featured Resources for June
LIRS invites you and your congregation to infuse new meaning into the phrase welcome the stranger.
New resources for observing Migrant and Refugee Sunday are now available at lirs.org/migrant-refugee-sunday. Consider how you might use some of these resources in the weeks of June:
- On Pentecost Sunday, June 9, we hear a story of how diverse peoples, from the far reaches of the earth, are gathered into one people and speak one language through the gift of God’s Spirit.
- June 9 is also designated as Children’s Day. June 16 is observed as Father’s Day. Both days are times to consider families who are on the move, and to respond to Christ’s call to care for all our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- On World Refugee Day, June 20, celebrations throughout the United States and the world commemorate the strength, courage, and resilience of millions of refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide who have been forced to flee their homes due to war, conflict, and persecution.
The all-new resources for Migrant and Refugee Sunday include commentaries written by former refugees for preaching on the lessons for Pentecost, a Pentecost/World Refugee Day Litany, Prayer Petitions for June, and other worship and education materials that will be updated each month. You can also find images, language, and stories to enrich and support your congregation’s call to welcome the stranger and to celebrate our oneness in the body of Christ.
Save the Date
Join the Public Witness Team for a Better Conversations workshop (formerly called Bridging the Divide) on Saturday, June 29, 9:30am-2:00pm.
We live in a polarized society in which neither “side” listens to the other. Families are being split apart, friendships are fractured, and even our church family finds it
difficult to bridge the divide. This workshop faces controversial topics head-on by teaching the skills we all need for engaging in political discourse, not just rationally,
but in a way that fosters love and understanding.
You will learn:
• How to redefine the “win,” and why persuasion is not the point
• What a “better” conversation sounds like
• How to apply ground rules and conversation helpers
• The role of listening and empathy in the midst of controversy
This workshop is for opinionated people from the right, left and center of political and social positions. We encourage you to attend and participate in the biblical mandate of peacemaking.
Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church, 715 E Lamar Blvd, Arlington, TX 76011
Cost: FREE (Your freewill offering is welcome.) Includes lunch.
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/celebrating-eid-al-fitr/ – published Jun. 3)
(https://www.ntnl.org/busy-times-at-briarwood/ – published Jun. 5)
(https://www.ntnl.org/milesandmiles-on-a-saturday/ – published Jun. 6)
(https://www.ntnl.org/ordination-at-abiding-grace/ – published Jun. 3)
(https://www.ntnl.org/affirmation-of-baptism-in-san-angelo/ – published Jun. 9)
Where in the world is?
- Jun. 14-20: Vacation
- Jun. 16: Walnut Hill, Farmers Branch
- Jun. 11: Intensive II Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic ministry, LSPS, Austin TX
- Jun. 13: NTNL Stewardship Team meeting, Synod office
- Jun. 14: Good Shepherd, Marshall
- Jun. 14-15: “All Times and All Places Praise the Lord” Workshop & Hymn Festival, Fort Worth, TX
- Jun. 22: Worship Together Summer Experience, Richland Hills, TX
- Jun. 29: Better Conversations workshop, Arlington, TX
- Jul. 13: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Aug. 5-10: ELCA Churchwide Assembly, Milwaukee, WI
- Aug. 8-11: Via de Cristo weekend, Argyle, TX
- Aug. 10: Public Witness Team monthly meeting, Arlington, TX
- Aug. 12-15: Intentional Interim Training, Argyle, TX
- Aug. 17: WELCA Annual Women’s/Girl’s Retreat, Grand Prairie, TX
- Aug. 31: ELCA Generosity Project workshop, Keller, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.