See the latest note from Bishop Gronberg to NT-NL Leaders, sent March 13: Caring for Community Amidst Public Health Concerns.
Last Friday (March 6) I wrote to you about preparations and responding in faith to the continued spread of COVID-19, the “novel Coronavirus.” I said then that it was only a matter of time until we saw more cases in our area; that unfortunately has come to be the case. Within the span of the last 24-48 hours, the number of cases in the territory of NT-NL has increased significantly and will likely continue to increase in the coming weeks.
Our priorities as people of faith and leaders in response to this outbreak are to remain calm, obtain and provide access to reliable information, protect the vulnerable in our midst, and pray.
Continue reading. (Disponible en español en este mismo enlace.)
And from the ELCA:
With the outbreaks of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the United States and around the world being classified as a pandemic, congregations and houses of worship need to be well-informed and well-prepared. We have developed resources that offer guidance as we minister to and engage with each other, and within our communities, as the body of Christ.
Find these and other resources at ELCA.org/PublicHealth.
God, our peace and our strength, we pray for our nation and the world as we face new uncertainties around coronavirus. Protect the most vulnerable among us, especially all who are currently sick or in isolation. Grant wisdom, patience, and clarity to health care workers, especially as their work caring for others puts them at great risk. Guide us as we consider how best to prepare and respond in our families, congregations, workplaces, and communities. Give us courage to face these days not with fear but with compassion, concern, and acts of service, trusting that you abide with us always, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Briarwood Gala Postponed
Briarwood Leadership Center has made the decision to postpone the Briarwood Gala until May 16. Because the event is being hosted at Briarwood, this move could be made at no financial cost to Briarwood; the decision reflects good stewardship both of our people and resources.
This decision have been taken out of an abundance of caution. As a pastoral institution, Briarwood is committed to seeking the greatest possible good for our communities. These steps help reduce transmission of the COVID-19 virus by promoting “social distancing.” Slowing the spread of the pandemic helps reduce the chance of local and regional health systems being overwhelmed.
ConFest 2020 Cancellation
In following the guidance noted in the COVID-19 Updates blog by Bishop Gronberg, we made the decision to cancel the upcoming “ConFest: Confirmands Afternoon with the Bishop” at King of Glory, Dallas, on March 21. Given the priority of protecting vulnerable populations, it is not prudent to gather 100+ youth from throughout our synod and send them back into local communities.
Featured Resources for March | Recursos destacados para marzo
A new landing page for Spanish-language resources is available. Download social statements, communication tools, ELCA brandmarks, bishop messages, and more.
Se encuentra disponible una nueva página de destino para recursos en español. Descargue declaraciones sociales, herramientas de comunicación, marcas registradas de la ELCA, mensajes de obispos y más.
Where in the world is?
- (No visits planned this week)
- (No visits planned this week)
- Mar. 14-20: Spring Break Vacation
- Apr. 4: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 7 (Día 1 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Apr. 4: Heart of Texas conference WELCA spring gathering, Waco, TX
- Apr. 11: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 7 (Día 2 de 5), Argyle, TX
- Apr. 11: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- Apr. 18: PLMA, Spring 2020, Course 2, Argyle, TX
- Apr. 19: Lutheran Campus Ministry Golf Outing, Frisco, TX
- Apr. 19-24: Ministerial Flourishing: Exploring the Meaning, Means and Practices, Navasota, TX
- Apr. 24-25: 2020 Synod Assembly, Dallas, TX
- May 2: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 7 (Día 3 de 5), Argyle, TX
- May 9: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 7 (Día 4 de 5), Argyle, TX
- May 9: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- May 16: PLMA, Spring 2020, Course 3, Argyle, TX
- May 16: Briarwood 2020 Gala: Adventure Awaits, Argyle, TX
- May 23: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 7 (Día 5 de 5), Argyle, TX
- May 24-29: Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive I, Austin, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.