Churchwide Assembly Reflection 5 of 6
From Rev. Edy Santos (Adviento, Arlington), Ordained Male Voting Member:
We are church…
The churchwide assembly, what a terrific event for working together for the kingdom of God. Definitively, a unique opportunity to know new people and to learn more about our church.
I want to express my gratitude to God and to all the people of our NT- NL synod for permitting me to live that wonderful experience. There are no words to describe how much compromise we have ahead and how great is God for a church that understand what is mean to serve, to value, to respect and to support each other because in mission together… We are church.
All the decisions, opinions, debates and discourses at this assembly contributed to build a new church compromise, that I am sure is the work that the Holy Spirit send us to realize.
“We are church” is the voice clamming to continue praying for our sisters and brothers in the ELCA, and we must pray that we may both humbly seek and boldly confess Christ and His Gospel before the world.
Synod Assembly 6-month Notice
Our 2020 Synod Assembly is just over six months away! Join us April 24-25 at Paul Quinn College in Dallas. We are excited to partner with the oldest HBCU (Historically Black College and University) in Texas to bring our Assembly to South Dallas. We will post additional information on our event page, including links to registration and for the hotel, as it becomes available.
MEF Grants Update
The Mission Endowment Fund of NT-NL granted $80,000 in 2019 to underfunded or start up ministries in our Synod. The Board is now receiving applications for 2020. Do you have a service, educational or outreach ministry in mind that is not currently funded? If so, you are invited to review the guidelines and complete the application found at https://www.ntnl.org/ministries/mef/. Grants will be awarded in February 2020. Contact Linda Ness, email@example.com with questions. Grant requests for 2020 must be received by October 31.
This is the story of one of the ministries funded in 2019:
2019 MEF Grant Recipient – Adviento, Arlington
Iglesia Luterana Adviento es una nueva congregación en el área de Arlington donde compartimos la gracia y el amor de Dios. Edintzon “Edy” Santos está aquí para nuestro servicio pastoral.
Advent in Arlington is blessed to have Pr. Edy Santos and his wife Ingrid to lead the Latinx congregation. The Mission Endowment grants have assisted in the growth of this congregation. Continue reading.
Featured Resources for October
The ELCA offers a number of resources for Congregational Based Organizing — items such as “Building Bridges, Building Power,” “Good for Soul, Good for Whole,” “Hope at Work,” and more!
Save the Date
Registration deadline: November 3
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/atatiana-jefferson-and-responsibility-to-the-neighbor/ – published Oct. 15)
(https://www.ntnl.org/sw-pa-and-atatiana-jefferson-responding-to-our-neighbor/ – published Oct. 16)
(https://www.ntnl.org/sermon-for-the-18th-sunday-after-pentecost/ – published Oct. 13)
(https://www.ntnl.org/a-lutheran-response-to-police-shootings-and-systemic-racism/ – published Oct. 15)
Where in the world is?
- Oct. 26: Inauguration of President Cottrell at Texas Lutheran University
- Oct. 27: Bosque County Joint Reformation service, St. Olaf, Cranfills Gap
- Oct. 26: African congregations’ Reformation celebration at King of Glory, Fort Worth
- Oct. 26: Introducing LEAD Journey, Argyle, TX
- Oct. 28: Upbring Golf benefiting Foster in Texas, Irving, TX
- Oct. 28-30: Region 4 Deacon Gathering, New Braunfels, TX
- Oct. 31: Deadline for MEF Grant Application
- Nov. 7-10: Via de Cristo weekend, Argyle, TX
- Nov. 8-10: “Lutheran Young Adults” / “Lutheran Single Adults” Reunion Retreat, La Grange, TX
- Nov. 9: Public Witness Team meeting, Arlington, TX
- Nov. 9: Thrivent’s Cooking for Christ fundraiser, Frisco, TX
- Nov. 10: Lutheran Campus Ministry Trivia Challenge, Argyle, TX
- Nov. 11-12: SMU | Perkins School of Theology Fall Convocation (with Rick Steves), Dallas, TX
- Nov. 12-14: Young at Heart Retreat, Argyle, TX
- Nov. 15-17: NT-NL Junior High Gathering, Carrollton, TX
- Nov. 16: PLMA, Fall 2019, Course 3, Argyle, TX
- Nov. 16: Better Conversations, Fort Worth, TX
- Nov. 18-22: Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders, Arlington, TX
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.