Message from Bishop Gronberg
This weekend (October 1-5) was to be our ELCA Fall Conference of Bishops meeting. Although we did not meet in person this year, we did have important meetings and receive many reports from our churchwide staff and associated ministries. This included a report from Rev. Jeff Thiemann, CEO of Portico Benefit Services, our ELCA Benefits provider. Rev. Theimann updated us on several things but in particular highlighted a concern about the emotional and mental health of our plan members and their families. He also reported a concern that those most in need of these services were not taking advantage of the new options provided for them in this plan. The mental and emotional health of our leaders and their families is critical to us as church fulfilling our mission. Leaders, lay and ordained, are under tremendous and new stresses and strains. Please watch this short video and visit porticobenefits.org to learn more. Our prayers are with all leaders across our church, and as bishop, those who I am called to shepherd. God bless you all this week.
Young Adults Pumpkin Party
Are you between the ages of 15 and 25? Do you love the spooky season? We have an event for you! Join NT-NL Young Adults for their first socially distanced Halloween Event! Dress up in your favorite costume, and come out to Briarwood on Saturday, October 17th from 9:30am-11:30am. We will be carving pumpkins, listening to spooky music, and enjoying the beauty of God’s creation!
This is a free event; pumpkins and tools will be provided! Donations are welcome and will go towards Briarwood’s continued ministry and programs for fun events just like this one! Registration required at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pumpkin-party-for-young-adults-tickets-123517428955.
Join us if you have the guts!
Giving Webinar for ELCA Congregations
As an ELCA Preferred Vendor, Tithe.ly periodically hosts webinars for ELCA congregations to share ideas on how to grow their giving.
For many congregations, almost 40% of their giving is received in the fourth quarter of the calendar year!
With that in mind, on Wednesday, October 7 at 1:00 p.m. CDT, Tithe.ly will be hosting a free webinar exclusively for ELCA congregations.
During this webinar, our team will discuss the ways in which you can see an upswing in your church’s generosity as the year comes to a close.
- 2020 trends in online giving, including mobile and text, and the best resources for your team during the Holidays
- How the Tithe.ly App with Messaging can help grow year-end giving
- How to make a 2021 financial commitment online
- How congregations have used Tithe.ly to effectively increase giving
Featured Resources for October
Clergy Appreciation Day is always the second Sunday in October, and all of October is celebrated as Clergy Appreciation Month. The celebration was established in 1992 with a mission of uplifting and affirming pastors and religious workers, so we encourage you to consider including deacons, staff, and volunteers.
Some congregations take up a special offering on this day to bless our ministers. Others use the entire month of October to find different means to bless leaders with meals, gifts, and even paid time off. As an individual, there are several ways to show appreciation:
- Tell others. Tell them how much your church leaders do for the congregation – and let your leaders overhear you.
- Volunteer. Churches offer more opportunities for volunteering than just about anywhere. Don’t wait to be voluntold.
- Pray for your clergy. It should probably be in the first slot, but it seemed so obvious.
- Write a note. Thank your minister for being an excellent leader, for their compassion, or even something specific.
- Ask. Find out where you can help. Some clergy don’t delegate enough or (see volunteer) so few people volunteer, they’ve taken all the burdens upon themselves.
Join your congregation in celebrating your clergy. Recognize them for their leadership, compassion, stewardship, and faith.
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/worship-practices-in-covid-19-update-late-sept-2020/ – published Sep. 29)
(https://www.ntnl.org/engaging-faith-and-public-life/ – published Sep. 29)
(https://www.ntnl.org/religious-freedom-in-america-past-present-and-future/ – published Oct. 1)
(https://www.ntnl.org/future-church-attendance-realities/ – published Oct. 1)
Where in the world is?
The bishop and staff have resumed limited in-person travel for special events or to tape or livestream worship. The staff will wear masks for all services and anytime they are near people, either inside or outside a facility. All synod business will continue to be conducted online.
- Oct 10: Ordination of Remy Remmers, King of Glory, Dallas
- Oct 10: Ordination of Remy Remmers, King of Glory, Dallas
- Oct. 11: Worship at Abiding Grace, Southlake
- Oct. 12: Call Committee Orientation, Emanuel, Dallas
- (No visits planned this week)
With the ever-changing guidelines and recommendations in our world right now, as we maintain physical distance in social solidarity, please keep in mind these events may be moved online, postponed, or cancelled:
- Oct. 7: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – The Sacred Work of Grief, Part 2: Everything We Love, We Will Lose with Rev. Solveig Nilsen-Goodin, Zoom
- Oct. 8: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Oct. 9: Basta de violencia a la mujer, participa por zoom o en persona
- Oct. 10: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 10 (Día 2 de 5), Zoom
- Oct. 10: Public Witness Team meeting, Zoom
- Oct. 14: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Leaning In: Subversion and Proximity with Shane Claiborne (Red Letter Christians), Zoom
- Oct. 15: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Oct. 17: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 10 (Día 3 de 5), Zoom
- Oct. 17: PLMA, Fall 2020, Course 2, Zoom
- Oct. 17: Young Adults Pumpkin Party, Briarwood
- Oct. 17: Mission Endowment Fund (MEF) Campaign and Worship Service, Online
- Oct. 19-20: 2020 Leadership Convocation, Zoom
- Oct. 21: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Growing Young: Be the Best Neighbor with Rachel Alley and others, Zoom
- Oct. 22: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Oct. 24: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 10 (Día 4 de 5), Zoom
- Oct. 24: Living Connected: Creation’s Gift of Material Goods, Online
- Oct. 24: LCM Denton Presents: Social Distant Oktoberfest, Online
- Oct. 27: Living Connected: Creation’s Gift of Material Goods, Online
- Oct. 28: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Preaching in a Polarized Space with Rev. Bridget Jones, Zoom
- Oct. 29: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Oct. 31: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 10 (Día 5 de 5), Zoom
- Nov. 4: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – The Sacred Work of Grief, Part 3: TBA with Rev. Solveig Nilsen-Goodin, Zoom
- Nov. 5: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Nov. 5: Interim Pastors monthly meeting, Zoom
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.