Briarwood is (still) looking for a few good workers!
Only one weekend left!
In order to be ready for construction to begin March 3, 2014 on the new Welcome and Streng Center, we need volunteers to help clear out, clean out, and tear down the old maintenance building(s) on the property.
All help is welcome! Every Saturday in February Briarwood will have work days from 9:00-4:00, with free lunch provided for all workers! Please email Jean at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re attending, so we can be sure to have your lunch ready!
NCAA Final Four Volunteer Program:
Samaritan’s Feet and Feed The Hungry
Working with the Samaritan’s Feet and Feed the Hungry organizations, the NCAA Men’s Final Four will distribute 2,000 pairs of new shoes and food boxes to North Texas families in need.
A large number of volunteers is needed to assist with the process, particularly with the shoe distribution.
Part of the mission of Samaritan’s Feet is to demonstrate servant-leadership and humility by washing the feet of the recipients before trying on their new shoes, thereby providing a profound opportunity to connect with each recipient and to share a message of encouragement.
The events will be Wednesday, April 2, 2014 (Arlington) and Thursday, April 3, 2014 (Dallas). 80 volunteers needed in Arlington and 180 in Dallas. Please see this flier for more information.
Duties include rotation of foot washing (gloves provided) and filling/emptying water basins. You must be at least 18 years old, and a background check is required. Lunch (and a t-shirt!) provided.
The John Tietjen Speaker Series
In addition to the public lecture on Saturday, Feb. 22, the Rev. Dr. Barreto will hold a Clergy Conversation on Sunday Feb. 23 at 3:00 p.m.
Sunday’s event is intended to be a more informal conversation for clergy and rostered leaders dealing with issues specific to those who preach and lead in congregations.
For more information, visit the Facebook event.
Faithful Through the Years: God and God’s People
A Celebration of Black History Month
Celebrate Black History Month with your sisters and brothers of Mount Olive Lutheran Church this Sunday, February 23rd, at 2:00 p.m. The celebration will be held at Mount Olive, 3100 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in downtown Dallas.
Titled “Faithful Through the Years: God and God’s People,” this special event will explore the aspects of African American history from the Northern migration to the roots of the civil right history to the triumphs and challenges of the present day.
The celebration will include singing, music, and the reading of essays and poems. The children, youth, and adults of Mount Olive will be leading this Sunday’s program. It will be an opportunity to see a part of our religious and cultural history rarely experienced in many people’s lives.
Clergy Women’s Retreat: 24-Hour Sabbath
4:00 p.m. Friday, March 7th to 4:00 p.m. Saturday, March 8th
Cost is $75 per person/double room which includes dinner, breakfast, & lunch
Bring your art materials, your knitting, your journals & poetry, your Bibles
Bring your favorite snack to share and your favorite beverage
Space is limited, so please RSVP to Pastor Deb Loudin-McCann ASAP at email@example.com or text to 817-713-0130
Understanding College Admissions & Financial Aid:
A Workshop for Students and Parents
Sunday, April 6, 2014
Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church
715 E. Lamar Blvd., Arlington
- How to do a search for the college that is right for you
- How to fill out a strong application
- Understanding Financial Aid and the FAFSA
- Some Do’s and Don’ts to remember
Texas Lutheran University’s Vice President of Enrollment Services, Tom Oliver, will present this free workshop. Oliver is an “insider” to the college admissions process having spent 25 years on Admissions staffs for SMU, Southwestern, TCU, and Trinity. He will be available after the workshop for individual consultation.
University of ¡SAMARIA!
Please join us on Saturday, April 26 for University of ¡Samaria!
This day-long event is open to ALL—it is not limited to Assembly attendees! The cost is $35, which includes lunch.
We are pleased to present a variety of gifted speakers and panelists who will help lead us as we journey “into the margins,” learning about those who are marginalized in our society and how we can address these issues as disciples of Jesus.
(If you are attending the Assembly, you do not need to register for the University.)
Journey with us to ¡SAMARIA!
With this assembly, the congregations and leaders of the NT-NL Mission Area continue to journey with Jesus into the world, under our 6-year theme: ReNewing DiscipleLife.
Our whole life is a journey of discipleship (DiscipleLife); our call is to go with Jesus, into the world, to touch the lives of those on the margins of society, as well as those who do not yet know Christ, with the love and mercy that Jesus showed.
This year’s keynote speakers include:
- The Rev. Dr. Barbara Rossing
- José Huerta
- Joyce James
- Former Congressman Charles W. Stenholm
- The Rev. Susan Engh, ELCA Churchwide Representative
We will have a special concert Friday night with Christian duo Jason and deMarco
Upcoming Events in the NT—NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Feb. 22: A People for God’s Name: Ethnicity and Theology in the Acts of the Apostles, the Rev. Dr. Eric D. Barreto (John Tietjen Speaker Series)
- Feb. 22: Mosaic’s 17th Annual Heart & Soul Gala
- Feb. 22: Adult Lutherans Organized for Action (ALOA)’s Senior Fest
- Feb. 22: Tune Up Worship Band Gathering
- Feb. 23: Faithful Through The Years: God and God’s People
- Mar. 7-8: Clergy Women’s Retreat at Briarwood: 24-Hour Sabbath
- Mar. 15: Parish Lay Mission Academy begins
- Mar. 21-23: Lutheran Men in Mission’s “Score one for Christ” Tri-Synod Men’s Gathering
- Apr. 4-6: Taize Dallas
- Apr. 6: Understanding College Admissions and Financial Aid, hosted by TLU at Shepherd of Life, Arlington
- Apr. 11-18: The Footsteps of Paul and the Glories of Greece Pilgrimage, Adult Lutherans Organized for Action (ALOA)
- Apr. 25-27: 2014 NT-NL Mission Assembly: ¡Samaria!
- Apr. 26: University of ¡Samaria!
- Apr. 27: World Malaria Sunday
- May 25-30: Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Jul. 18-20: Lutheran Men in Mission’s Triennial Gathering, “Guys, Guts, and God’s Glory”
- Jul. 24-27: Women of the ELCA’s Ninth Triennial Gathering, “Of Many Generations”