Equipping Clergy to Become Allies in the Fight Against Domestic Violence
Thursday, March 6
10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
5622 Dyer St., Dallas
1 in 3 women in Dallas who do not attend church will be victims of abuse.
1 in 3 women in Dallas who do attend church will be victims of domestic violence.
Despite widespread agreement that domestic violence is a bad thing, the church rarely speaks to the issue. The Family Place and Union Coffee are looking for clergy allies to help reduce domestic violence rates in Dallas. Please click here for more information.
Clergy Women’s Retreat: 24-Hour Sabbath
4:00 p.m. Friday, March 7th to 4:00 p.m. Saturday, March 8th
Cost is $75 per person/double room which includes dinner, breakfast, & lunch
Turning the Mirror Inward
Institutional Racism: Root Causes of Racial Inequality
Saturday, March 15
9:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Bethany Lutheran Church
10101 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas
Join Joyce James, Racial Equity Consultant and one of this year’s Mission Assembly keynote speakers, will present this workshop where, through facilitated dialogue and reflection, we will have the opportunity to analyze the structure and relationships that exist across systems and institutions that contribute to racial inequities.
For more information, including how to register, please visit the NT-NL Calendar.
Table Talk: Death of the Mainline–NOT!
Tuesday, March 18
9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Briarwood Retreat Center
Is the announcement of the death of mainline churches premature?
Join Dr. Ted Campbell, Associate Professor of Church History at Perkins School of Theology, to learn why he thinks mainline churches are alive and well and what that means for your ministry.
To register for this Table Talk, please email Pastor Jane Mar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost is $12 and includes lunch.
Click here to find out more about the 2014 Table Talk series.
Understanding College Admissions & Financial Aid: A Workshop for Students and Parents
Sunday, April 6, 2014
Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church
715 E. Lamar Blvd., Arlington
- How to do a search for the college that is right for you
- How to fill out a strong application
- Understanding Financial Aid and the FAFSA
- Some Do’s and Don’ts to remember
Texas Lutheran University’s Vice President of Enrollment Services, Tom Oliver, will present this free workshop. Oliver is an “insider” to the college admissions process having spent 25 years on Admissions staffs for SMU, Southwestern, TCU, and Trinity. He will be available after the workshop for individual consultation.
There is no registration fee. To sign up, contact TLU Church Relations: Becky Hruza at RHruza@TLU.edu or 830.372.8160. For more information, visit TLU’s website or download a promotional flier here.
University of ¡SAMARIA!
Please join us on Saturday, April 26 for University of ¡SAMARIA!
This day-long event is open to ALL—it is not limited to Assembly attendees! The cost is $35, which includes lunch. We are pleased to present a variety of gifted speakers and panelists who will help lead us as we journey “into the margins,” learning about those who are marginalized in our society and how we can address these issues as disciples of Jesus.
(If you are attending the Assembly, you do not need to register for the University.)
Journey with us to ¡SAMARIA!
The 2014 NT-NL Mission Assembly will be April 25-27 at the Marriott Quorum Hotel in Dallas, Texas. Registration is now open!
With this assembly, the congregations and leaders of the NT-NL Mission Area continue to journey with Jesus into the world, under our 6-year theme: ReNewing DiscipleLife.
Our whole life is a journey of discipleship (DiscipleLife); our call is to go with Jesus, into the world, to touch the lives of those on the margins of society, as well as those who do not yet know Christ, with the love and mercy that Jesus showed. This year’s keynote speakers include:
- The Rev. Dr. Barbara Rossing
- José Huerta
- Joyce James
- Former Congressman Charles W. Stenholm
- The Rev. Susan Engh, ELCA Churchwide Representative
We will have a special concert Friday night with Christian duo Jason and deMarco Please visit the Mission Assembly page for more information, including registration links and election details. Association of Lutheran Church Musicians Summer Conferences
Upcoming Events in the NT—NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Mar. 7-8: Clergy Women’s Retreat at Briarwood: 24-Hour Sabbath
- Mar. 15: “Turning the Mirror Inward” Institutional Racism: Root Causes of Racial Inequality at Bethany, Dallas
- Mar. 15: Parish Lay Mission Academy begins
- Mar. 21-23: Lutheran Men in Mission’s “Score one for Christ” Tri-Synod Men’s Gathering
- Apr. 4-6: Taize Dallas
- Apr. 6: Understanding College Admissions and Financial Aid, hosted by TLU at Shepherd of Life, Arlington
- Apr. 11-18: The Footsteps of Paul and the Glories of Greece Pilgrimage, Adult Lutherans Organized for Action (ALOA)
- Apr. 25-27: 2014 NT-NL Mission Assembly: ¡Samaria!
- Apr. 26: University of ¡Samaria!
- Apr. 27: World Malaria Sunday
- May 25-30: Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Jul. 18-20: Lutheran Men in Mission’s Triennial Gathering, “Guys, Guts, and God’s Glory”
- Jul. 24-27: Women of the ELCA’s Ninth Triennial Gathering, “Of Many Generations”
- Jul. 28-30: Association of Lutheran Church Musicians Region 3 Summer Conference
- Sep. 7: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday