This week we pray for:
Zion in McGregor (Pr. Christine Farrow)
Preston Meadow in Plano (Pr. Paul Mussachio, Pr. Jackie Linden-Schade, Pr. Marvin Havard)
UpBring (formerly LSS)
The 2015 NT-NL Prayer Partners can be found at ntnl.org/2015PrayerPartners or you can download the PDF here.
Faith Lutheran Buys Water Well for East Africans
Each year, Faith Lutheran Church in Meridian uses money from church savings for benevolence. This year, they agreed to donate to Water to Thrive, to build a water well in East Africa. Read more about it here!
German Advent in Dallas
The current Advent season in Germany is very much like what you can find in the United States: there are candles, wreaths, chocolate calendars, Advent/Christmas markets, and of course lots of shopping and lots of food. Learn about the German roots of many of the traditions we celebrate today, from NT-NL’s German Vicars, Michael and Katharina Behrens!
If you’re in DFW, join Christ Lutheran’s German community for Adventgottesdienst (a traditional German Advent service) this Saturday!
What color is your Advent wreath?
Did you light a pink candle last Sunday? Are the rest of the candles white, blue, or purple? What’s the deal with all the different colors? Read a bit about the Advent Color Debate here, and then snap a pic of your Advent wreath and share it with us! Post to Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #ntnlife or post the pic on our Facebook page!
Read how others across the ELCA are doing God’s work with their hands in Stories of Faith in Action. Have a story to share about how your congregation or ministry is living their DiscipleLife? Let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NT-NL Bishop Election Committee wants you to be aware of a few updates to the Bishop Election website:
- ¡Ya está disponible en español!
- Added conference meeting dates
- Naming Form for Potential Nominees now open
For more information, please visit BpElection.ntnl.org or email the Bishop Election Committee at BpElection@ntnl.org.
Give the Gift of Summer Camp!
What is a wonderful gift opportunity for your children and grandchildren that can make an eternal difference? The gift of Summer Camp at Briarwood!
If you would like to give a Briarwood Camp Gift Certificate:
- Click here to go to Briarwood’s donation page
- ‘Donate’ whatever amount you would like to pay for the gift certificate (click here to see registration fees—register by Dec. 31 to lock in 2015 prices for Summer 2016!)
- When completing the form, note the campers name in the “address 2” line
- Briarwood will receive notification of the ‘donation’ and will then e-mail the giver a gift certificate that can be printed and given to the child. The certificate will include the code that can be used for online registration
Need gifts for someone too old for summer camp? Check out ELCA Good Gifts!
ELCA Reformation Anniversary Grant Program
The 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation in 2017 is an opportunity for us to bear witness to the hope and joy we have through Jesus Christ. As we lead up to 2017, we are encouraged to plan and participate in activities that prepare for this milestone anniversary. As you plan your activities, we invite you to apply for funding from the ELCA Reformation Anniversary Grant Program!
Young Adults in Global Mission Applications Now Open!
The ELCA Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) program invites ELCA young adults ages 21-29 into a transformative, year-long journey in international service. Applications for the 2016-2017 program year are open and due on February 15 for service beginning August 2016.
Read about NT-NL’s current YAGM, David Roulston and Savanna Sullivan, here!
Weapons in Worship: New Texas Gun Laws and Religious Properties
Beginning January 1, 2016, concealed handgun license holders will be allowed to openly carry handguns into houses of worship. Find out more about what these new regulations mean for congregations in Texas.
ELCA World Hunger’s 40 Days of Giving
A challenge for Lent: can we raise $2 million for ELCA World Hunger? Go to elca.org/40days to find out more!
“God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday: September 11, 2016
Mark your calendars for the 2016 ELCA Day of Service on Sept. 11, 2016!
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Jan. 14, 2016: Wrestling with the Gospel: Preparing for Lent & Easter
- Jan. 14, 2016: Confronting Racism: A Holy Yearning
- Jan. 15-17, 2016: NT-NL High School Service Weekend
- Jan. 23-24, 2016: Lumberjack Retreat
- Jan. 25-27, 2016: Tri-Synodical Theological Leadership Conference
- Feb. 19-21, 2016: Peer Ministry Leadership Event
- Feb. 26-27, 2016: Congregational Council Retreat
- Apr. 22-24, 2016: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- May 29-Jun. 3, 2016: LSPS Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Level I Intensive
- Jun. 12-17, 2016: LSPS Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry Level II Intensive
- Jun. 20-30, 2016: Lands of Luther Tour
- Aug. 10-13, 2016: ELCA Grace Gathering
- Sept. 11, 2016: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Sept. 17, 2016: Installation of the new NT-NL Bishop
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (email@example.com) for consideration for our next NT-NL News. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo! p