This week we pray for:
Common Grace Mission in Stephenville (Fr. Curt Norman)
First United in Dallas (Pr. Russell Vardell)
ELCA Seminaries, especially LSTC, Wartburg, Trinity, and LSPS in Austin
Bishop Kanouse announces his intent to retire June 2016
Please visit ntnl.org/bishopelection to read Bishop Kanouse’s letter announcing his intent to retire as Bishop of NT-NL in June 2016. This page will be updated as the bishop election process develops.
Please go to ntnl.org/2015assemblyregistration to register for the ¡SINAI!, the 2015 NT-NL Mission Assembly, April 24-26 in Lewisville.
You will need to create an account by entering your email address and a password.
The same weekend as the assembly, Briarwood will be hosting a Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys. The retreat and assembly are two separate events, though we will come together on Saturday, April 25, for the Dedication of the new Center for Mission at Briarwood.
The family retreat will be a time for families to explore together how they can support each other in their faith formation. The retreat will focus on Rich Melheim’s FAITH5 (Faith Action In The Home), and how those tools can help families as they embark on their faith journeys together.
Registration for the family retreat will open later this month. For more information, contact Briarwood Program Director Aaron Colwick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, February 24
The Streng Center
at the Mission Center at Briarwood
How do congregations thrive and grow? How do pastors and lay leaders experience the on-going presence of the Holy Spirit in ways that renew them personally while giving them vision for the future?
Join the Rev. Dr. Michael Foss as he leads conversations on these topics, focusing on leadership, partnerships, and building a culture of energy, focus, and momentum.
Register here. Registration deadline is Friday, Feb. 20.
Cost is $12 for lunch, payable to Briarwood the day of the event.
Click image for more information on the 34th Annual Rural Ministry Conference
In this month’s edition:
- ELCA Advocacy priorities for 2015: addressing root causes of poverty and injustice internationally, caring for all of God’s creation, and standing with our communities facing poverty and struggling with hunger and disease
- Update from Lutheran Office for World Community at the United Nations
- ELCA Hunger Leadership Gathering
- Advocacy events and initiatives across the country
Lutheran Campus Ministries
Do you know any Lutheran students at the University of Texas at Austin, or who plan to start in the fall?
Tell them the Kohn-Hutter Scholarship provides about $40,000 annually for Lutheran UT students: the application deadline is March 31, 2015. Apply on LCM’s website: www.lcmaustin.org. The Leon G. Bohls Family Scholarship also provides support for UT students active in LCM.
Lutheran Campus Ministries nationwide create community in Christ. We pray for and invite students to join us around the Table, for both physical and spiritual nourishment.
Please refer students to campus ministries at: www.namegatheringproject.org. Don’t forget to begin asking graduating high school seniors where they’ll go to college!
Churchwide Assembly Voting Members
NT-NL will send seven voting members to the 2016 Churchwide Assembly. If you are interested in being a voting member, find more information, and the vita form, here. Nominees will be voted on at the 2015 Assembly.
The new address for all mail is:
680 Copper Canyon Rd.
Argyle, TX 76226
Please note we will also be discontinuing the use of the P.O. Box; all mail will need to come directly to the above address.
There are still giving opportunities available to finish out the landscaping around the building and to furnish the Streng Leadership Center.
Please visit NTNL.org/donate-now for more information on the new special gifting and naming opportunities for the Center for Mission at Briarwood.
2015 Lutheran Legislative Event
Registration extended through Feb. 10!
Sponsored by the Poverty & Justice Task Force of the ELCA’s Southwestern Texas Synod; program planned by Texas Impact.
Participating synods: Southwestern Texas, Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana, Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast
February 15-17, 2015
Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas
Do you wonder why our Texas legislators sometimes don’t understand issues of importance to Lutherans? Would you like to help them understand those issues? If so, now’s your opportunity to impact the legislative process!
Theologial Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM)
The TEEM program provides alternative preparation for those who will provide pastoral ministry in emerging ministry contexts throughout the church. The TEEM program at the Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest is focused on preparing leaders for cross-cultural Hispanic ministries. Candidates for the TEEM program are nominated by their synods and approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The TEEM program consists of 3-4 days of intensive courses 4 times per year in Austin, TX while the student is immersed in ministry throughout the course of the program. To learn more click here.
- Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive May 24-29 register here
- Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry (Level II Intensive) June 7-12 register here
- Hispanic Ministry Summer Term May 24-July 1
Bless It or Block It!: WELCA Retreat at Grace in Carrollton, April 11th, 2015
Jill Miller will explore the idea of letting go of our own agendas to truthfully seek out God’s will and purpose for our lives.
For retreat information contact Ginny Grundei at email@example.com.
My Faith Journey: Emmanuel Ladies’ Retreat at Emmanuel in Granbury, Feb. 28 from 9:00-2:00
Featuring award-winning author and inspirational speaker Lisa Wingate.
For retreat information contact Janet Railsback at 254-396-0321 or Carri Lewis at 817-271-6410.
NT-NL LMM Annual Assembly, March 7
For more information contact Dick Wenzel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Feb. 15: TLU’s College Bound Workshop
- Feb. 20-22: Peer Ministry (for youth in grades 9-12)
- Feb. 21: Mosaic in Dallas’s 18th Annual Heart & Soul Gala
- Feb. 21-22: Lenten Retreat at Briarwood
- Feb 24: Table Talk: Reviving the Congregation with Pastor Michael Foss
- Feb. 24-25: DO WHAT MATTERS! Faith Formation for a New Age
- Feb. 28: Eighth Annual North Texas Senior Fest
- Mar. 7: Lutheran Men in Mission Annual Assembly
- Mar. 22: Brunch at Briarwood
- Mar. 27-29: Into The Wilderness: Men’s Family Retreat at Briarwood
- Apr. 7-9: Senior Citizen’s Retreat
- Apr. 21-May 8: In Search of Paul: An Aegean Odyssey A LEAD pilgrimage for rostered leaders and church professionals
- Apr. 24-26: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- Apr. 24-26: ¡SINAI! Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys at Briarwood
- May 2: Briarwood Gala
- May 24-29: LSPS’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Sep. 13: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Sept. 15: Table Talk: The Use of the Means of Grace with Pastor Kevin Strickland
- Oct. 17: MEF “Seeds that Change” Dinner
- Oct. 26-28: 2015 Bishop’s Convocation with special guest Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton!
- Nov. 2: Portico Pre-Retirement Seminar
- Nov. 3: Portico Early/Mid-Career Financial Wellness Seminar
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (email@example.com) for consideration for our next Briefings. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo!