Hope & Health
Looking for a change of pace after Turkey Day and Black Friday?
The IDEA Foundation presents
Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars
in concert to benefit health in Sierra Leone
Saturday, November 29 – Doors at 7 pm
Lakewood Theater, 1825 Abrams Road, Dallas, TX
Family friendly, Upbeat music, Basket Raffle, Live Auction
Proceeds will help small clinics treat non-Ebola patients
and feed quarantined people in small villages where the church can reach
better than the large international agencies.
You can make a difference.
$13 children, $25 general admission, $40 VIP
Support is needed for these new ELCA Missionaries and Young Adults in Global Mission
- Pastor Morsal Collier who serves with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Sierra Leone.
2015 goal: $23,000 in additional annual support
- Amy Gulliksen (Grace, Carrolton), Young Adult in Global Mission in Jerusalem/West Bank.
2015 goal: $7,000 in support
Read Pastor Kate Warn’s November newsletter from Rwanda.
The building is nearly complete… but there is still more to be done!
We have listed landscaping, technology, and furnishing needs that still need to be met. Wouldn’t you like to have a garden area named after your family or congregation?
Please visit NTNL.org/donate-now for more information on the new special gifting and naming opportunities for the DiscipleLife Center for Mission at Briarwood.
TLU’s annual Vespers service of word and music featuring the TLU Concert Choir, TLU Women’s Choir, Kantorei Chamber Choir and TLU Symphonic Winds and Percussion will be offered at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 5 and Saturday, Dec. 6 as well as on Sunday, Dec. 7 at 4 p.m.
Tickets are free but required due to limited seating. Vespers is also offered at St. Martin’s Lutheran Church in Austin on Sunday, Dec. 14 at 4 p.m. (no tickets required).
This year Vespers explores the role of the Messengers of God (angels) and the experience of “entertaining angels unawares.”
For more information and to reserve tickets, click here.
Decorate your congregation’s Christmas tree with the ELCA Good Gifts Advent Tree Ornament Pack—goats, pigs, water jugs, fruit trees, and school fees!
One package contains 30 assorted ornaments of 15 different gifts ranging from $10-$500 each. Invite families to select ornaments representing the gifts they would like to give.
Each ornament allows an individual or family to personalize their ornament with their name and the year. They can take their ornament home as a reminder of their generosity!
New Braunfels, TX
God’s Story is a LOVE STORY, and it has captured the hearts of each of us. To tell it is to give life.
The Story is our life blood, yet many have let it flat line. Join us for theological conference this year as we get the blood pumping again!
January 7-9, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
The National Conference for Sacred Music is a unique conference designed to provide the practicing Church Musician with fresh new ideas to help create a vital, growing music ministry. The emphasis of this conference is to provide a wide variety of new approaches to revitalize and reinvigorate the Church’s passion for music in worship.
For more information, see the registration link (scroll down for event details).
Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest will be hosting their Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive on May 24-29, 2015.
The Intensive is a resource for Lutherans and those of other denominations who recognize the growing need for competency in the Spanish language and an understanding of Hispanic culture in light of the increasing Hispanic population in this country and in the church. The course focuses on the study of the Spanish language and on different aspects of Hispanic culture, ranging from cuisine to dancing.
Please contact Consuelo Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
New! Level II Intensive
Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry:
Misión en Comunidad/Mission in Community
This new Level II Intensive is designed for congregational leaders in those congregations where consideration is being given to starting Hispanic Ministry in their community. Teams from congregations are encouraged to attend. During this week teams will learn:
- To increase capacity for doing Hispanic ministry
- To learn several models for engaging in Hispanic ministry in congregational settings
- To improve facility in Spanish language, especially liturgical Spanish
- To build a cohort of colleagues preparing for Hispanic ministry within their community
The main presenter is the Rev. Rubén Durán with several outstanding guests sharing models for Hispanic Ministry.
Worship Jubilee of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Biennial Conference of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians
July 19-21, 2105 • Atlanta, GA
How is God calling the church today? And to what are Christians called?
For the first time, this gathering brings together two major national events in overlapping conferences: the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians will meet Sunday through Wednesday of this week. The third Worship Jubilee for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, following those held in 2000 and 2007, will meet Monday through Thursday.
Participants may register for one or both events, which will feature leading voices, practical workshops, diverse worship expressions in several of Atlanta’s city churches, and rich conversation. Visit LivingVoice2015.org for more information.
September 13, 2015
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Dec. 7: Briarwood’s Christmas Brunch
- Dec. 13-14: Advent Retreat at Briarwood
- Jan 7-9: National Conference of Sacred Music
- Jan 16-18, 2015: High School Extravaganza
- Jan. 24-25, 2015: Lumberjack Retreat at Briarwood
- Jan. 26-28, 2015: Tri-Synodical Theological Conference
- Feb. 20-22, 2015: Peer Ministry (for youth in grades 9-12)
- Feb. 21-22, 2015: Lenten Retreat at Briarwood
- Mar. 27-29, 2015: Father-Son Retreat at Briarwood
- Apr. 21-May 8, 2015: In Search of Paul: An Aegean Odyssey A LEAD pilgrimage for rostered leaders and church professionals
- Apr. 24-26, 2015: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- May 24-29, 2015: LSPS’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Sep. 13, 2015: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Oct. 17, 2015: MEF “Seeds that Change” Dinner
- Nov. 2, 2015: Portico Pre-Retirement Seminar
- Nov. 3, 2015: Portico Early/Mid-Career Financial Wellness Seminar
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (email@example.com) for consideration for our next Briefings. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo!