West Africa Ebola Crisis: Donations Still Being Collected
There is still so much to be done to help our brothers and sisters in Sierra Leone and west Africa. Please visit ntnl.org/ebola-crisis for updates.
Please consider making a donation or taking a special offering in your congregation, and also sharing that link with friends and family.
Donations can be made through PayPal or by mail: NT-NL Mission Office, P.O. Box 560587, Dallas TX 75356-0587.
November 2 • 2:00-6:00
Join us for a fun-filled family day at Briarwood! There will be a games, treats, face painting, raffles, tours of the Streng and Trester Centers, and Briarwood’s Annual Meeting.
There will be a delicious cookout with hot dogs and hamburgers from 4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m. plus cotton candy, snow cones, popcorn, and sodas throughout the afternoon.
The Annual Advisory Board meeting will be held at 4pm. Please see briarwoodretreat.org for more information.
Volunteer Days at Briarwood: October 20-31
Please note the Volunteer Day at Briarwood originally scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 4 has been cancelled—instead, we will need volunteers to assist with painting starting Monday, Oct. 20 and continuing until Oct. 31.
The actual painting will be done by our two favorite handymen, Bruce Oslie and Buck Parker, who were invaluable in the completion of the Trail’s End cabin and have graciously agreed to share their spray-gun gifts to paint the Leadership Center. Volunteers will be needed to help with hoses and moving things around to assist Bruce and Buck.
If you are available to help any weekday from Monday, Oct. 20-Friday, Oct. 31, please call Jean at 940.241.2099 or email her at email@example.com to let us know of your availability.
Turning Preaching Inside Out:
Preaching & Worship as Faith Formation
Guest Speaker Dr. Rolf Jacobson
Mission Endowment Fund Grant Application Now Available!
The deadline for MEF grants is October 31. Please complete the application (save the fillable PDF to your computer, then open your local copy) and submit to Hattie Hammer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please find the complete grant application guidelines and application forms at ntnl.org/mef-grants.
The Board of the Directors of the Mission Endowment Fund and the Executive Director invite you to attend the
Saturday, October 11, 2014
Christ Lutheran Church, Dallas
The first Sunday in October has been designated as “Definitely-Abled Sunday” to honor and include in worship all of our members, especially those who are differently-abled.
The resolution to observe this day, passed at the 2014 mission area assembly in April, reminds us that Jesus, throughout his ministry, sought to embrace and reincorporate the forgotten, the marginalized and the excluded as a sign of the arrival of God’s kingdom, and so taught us to do the same.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Please take a moment to read through some of the resources available here. Consider including victims and survivors of domestic abuse, as well as their abusers, in your prayers during worship.
Help us shatter the silence and break the cycle of abuse by encouraging victims and survivors to talk about their experiences. Contact your local domestic violence shelter for resources, fliers, and other information you can have available in the restrooms in your church building (and elsewhere!)
Lutheran Men in Mission
The Gulf Coast Synod will be hosting the 2014 Lutheran Men in Mission Leadership Summit on Saturday, October 18, at the Holiday Inn Express in Pearland.
Registration is $69. Deadline is October 10. Register by mail using this form.
Briarwood Retreat Center
The NT-NL Lutheran Youth Organization leaders are collecting preliminary information from congregations planning on attending the Gathering in Detroit. Please fill out this quick form to let us know your plans!
Peer Ministry Leadership Event (youth in grades 9-12)
Briarwood Retreat Center
Questions? Call Janelle Miller at 817-726-7031 or email NTNLYouthLeaders@yahoo.com.
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Oct. 2: Luther Then, Bonhoeffer Now – Dr. Larry Rasmussen
- Oct. 5: NT-NL’s Definitely-Abled Sunday
- Oct. 10-12: NT-NL Synodical Women’s Organization Convention (Abilene, TX)
- Oct. 11: MEF’s Seeds that Change Dinner
- Oct. 16-17: Peer Ministry Adult Facilitator Training
- Oct. 18: LMM Leadership Summit (Pearland, TX)
- Oct. 24-26: Lutheran Men in Mission’s “One Year to Live” Retreat
- Oct. 27-29: Bishop’s Convocation: Turning Preaching Inside Out
- Nov. 2: Briarwood’s Fall Festival
- Nov. 9: Lutheran Campus Ministries Trivia Night
- Nov. 14-16: Junior High Youth Gathering
- Dec. 7: Briarwood’s Christmas Brunch
- Dec. 13-14: Advent Retreat at Briarwood
- Jan 16-18: High School Extravaganza
- Jan. 24-25: Lumberjack Retreat at Briarwood
- Jan. 26-28, 2015: Tri-Synodical Theological Conference
- Feb. 20-22: Peer Ministry (for youth in grades 9-12)
- Apr. 21-May 8, 2015: In Search of Paul: An Aegean Odyssey A LEAD pilgrimage for rostered leaders and church professionals
- Apr. 24-26, 2015: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- May 24-29, 2015: LSPS’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive