This week we pray for:
Faith in Meridian (Pr. Joan Iker)
Christ’s in Odessa (Richard Lamb, SAWL)
Lutheran Men in Mission
Have you STILL not registered for the Assembly? Do it now, before rates this Sunday!
Did you know you do not have to be a voting member to come to the assembly? Visitors are welcome! Join us to hear our amazing keynote speakers, the Rev. Dr. Rich Melheim and the Rev. Dr. David Lose, and to find out more about what is happening across the mission area.
Download the ELCA Organizations and Events Guidebook app!
This year we will once again use an electronic guide app for the Assembly. To download the ELCA Organizations and Events app, click here. If you already have the app, search for 2015 Assembly of the NT-NL Mission Area, ELCA to find our guide.
View the assembly schedule, read about our keynote speakers, access the Book of Reports and more!
Looking for the mail-in registration form? Download it form here!
¡SINAI! Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys
Families with children of all ages are invited to Briarwood for the ¡SINAI! Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys.
This retreat will take place the same weekend as the Mission Assembly, April 24-26; while assembly participants will hear the theory and philosophy of Rich Melheim’s Faith5 (Faith Action In The Home) practice, families at Briarwood will put it all to practice, exploring together how they can support each other in their faith formation and stick together through the journey.
Want to find out more? Go here.
Contact the mission office or Anna Geleske at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NT-NL Public Witness Team presents
Texas Impact Legislative Briefing
April 11, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church
715 East Lamar Boulevard, Arlington
Contact: Pastor Franz Schemmel (email@example.com or 817-613-7906) or Pastor Chuck Hubbard (214-395-6978)
Do you wonder if our Texas legislators are aware of the issues important to Lutherans? Would you like to help them out? Here is your opportunity learn how to have an impact on the legislative process!
Texas Impact will present a briefing event at Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church in Arlington on April 11. The briefing will begin at 10:00 a.m. Cost for the event is $10; lunch will be provided.
Since the 2015 session is underway, we will start with an update on the nature and progress of bills currently under consideration. Director Bee Moorhead and the Texas Impact staff will focus on five key areas: immigration, education, criminal justice, medical care, and water management.
Participants will learn how they can make an impact during this legislative session and what should be done to prepare for the 2017 session. It is important to be thinking about 2017 now, so we hope to see you on April 11.
Texas Impact is a statewide religious grassroots network whose members include church bodies, congregations and individuals of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths. The NT-NL Mission Area has a longstanding membership in the organization. For more about Texas Impact, see their website: texasimpact.org.
The NT-NL Public Witness Team presents Daoud Nasser
April 19, 6:30 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church in Fort Worth
April 21, 7:00 p.m. at Bethany Lutheran Church in Dallas
Palestinian Lutheran Daoud Nasser will share the message of Tent of Nations at two events:
- April 19, at 6:30 p.m., at Trinity Lutheran Church (3621 Tulsa Way, Fort Worth) Contact Ann Hafften at 817-613-7906 or Laura Hunt at 817-705-6282
- April 21, at 7:00 p.m., at Bethany Lutheran Church (10101 Walnut Hill, Dallas) Contact Terry Guy at 214-348-9690 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Nasser is from Bethlehem and a member of Christmas Lutheran Church there. He is a leader in the Tent of Nations organization.
Tent of Nations seeks to prepare young people in Palestine to make positive contributions to their society through the values of understanding and peaceful coexistence. The organic farm where the education and work camps take place is under threat of confiscation by the Israeli military. It is about 33 miles southwest of Bethlehem.
In May 2014, the Israeli military bulldozed 1,500 productive fruit trees growing on the Nasser farm. Daoud Nasser will explain the challenges facing his family’s farming efforts from the military and surrounding Israeli settlements. Read more here.
Daoud Nasser’s presentation is part of NT-NL’s participation in the ELCA strategy Peace Not Walls: Stand for Justice in the Holy Land.
The Institute for Ecumenical Research in Strasbourg, a close affiliate of the Lutheran World Federation, has just launched the Luther Reading Challenge.
It’s an online community for reading and discussion Luther’s theological writings as a preparation for the Reformation anniversary. From now until October 2017, a wide range of Luther’s works will be made available online. Anyone can sign up for a free account to join the conversation!
It’s been almost 500 years since Martin Luther posted his “Ninety-Five Theses” or “Disputation on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences” in Wittenberg on October 31, 1517 (where does the time go? Doesn’t it seem like it was only yesterday?)
Churchwide has created some resources to help congregations, ELCA seminaries, colleges and universities, and other agencies pool ideas and resources to enrich anniversary observances throughout the ELCA and beyond.
Platforms available for you to use include:
- An ELCA Reformation Observance website which will host an event calendar and resource repository of those items that have been shared with us. This is in addition to the ELCA.org/500 landing page on the ELCA website.
- A Facebook group called ELCA Reformation 500. This group is designed for the use of observance planners and the synod network. While we will be facilitating and sharing within the group, we look forward to your participation to make it a success.
- A Facebook page also called ELCA Reformation 500 where we can share public facing information to anyone interested in finding out about how the ELCA is observing the Reformation.
North Texas Senior Fest 2015
Adult Lutherans Organized for Action’s Eighth Annual Senior Fest has been rescheduled for Saturday, May 9. See more details here.
Wartburg Youth Leadership School & ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit
Youth are invited to experience the ultimate faith journey as they share in adventure, service, study, leading, and worship in a combined ten days as the participate in the Wartburg Youth Leadership School on the Wartburg Seminary campus and the ELCA Youth Gathering in Detroit, Michigan.
Participants consider the ULTIMATE YOU: Who claims You? Who Calls You? Who Sends You?
Through the setting of an intentional Christian community, the youth are challenged to live out the Gospel and ask themselves, “How am I being called to lead?”
Which Three Youth Will You Nominate?
Do you have youth in your congregation that may already be leaders, or who have leadership potential? Please nominate them to participate in WYLS and the ELCA Youth Gathering. You may nominate up to three youth who have completed 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. Click here for an online nomination form.
Click here to read the latest 2015 ELCA Youth Gathering gNews!
In this month’s gNews, learn more about Proclaim Story Day, how to sign up for an airport shuttle and how you can provide books for Detroit students!
Want to receive these updates directly? Sign up here!
Please note the mission office’s new address:
680 Copper Canyon Rd.
Argyle, TX 76226
Please note we will be discontinuing the use of the P.O. Box; all mail will need to come directly to the above address.
There are still giving opportunities available! Please visit NTNL.org/donate-now for more information on the new special gifting and naming opportunities for the Mission Center at Briarwood.
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Mar. 22: Brunch at Briarwood
- Mar. 27-29: Into The Wilderness: Men’s Family Retreat at Briarwood
- Mar. 28: NT-NL Synodical Women’s Organization Board meeting
- Apr. 7-9: Senior Citizen’s Retreat
- Apr. 14: RESCHEDULED Table Talk: Reviving the Congregation with Pastor Michael Foss
- Apr. 21-May 8: In Search of Paul: An Aegean Odyssey A LEAD pilgrimage for rostered leaders and church professionals
- Apr. 24-26: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- Apr. 24-26: ¡SINAI! Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys at Briarwood
- May 2: Briarwood Gala
- May 9: ALOA Senior Fest
- May 24-29: LSPS’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Jul. 15-19: 2015 ELCA Youth Gathering: Rise Up Together!
- Sep. 13: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Sep. 29: Table Talk: The Use of the Means of Grace with Pastor Kevin Strickland
- Oct. 17: MEF “Seeds that Change” Dinner
- Oct. 26-28: 2015 Bishop’s Convocation with special guest Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton!
- Nov. 2: Portico Pre-Retirement Seminar
- Nov. 3: Portico Early/Mid-Career Financial Wellness Seminar
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (email@example.com) for consideration for our next Briefings. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo!