Our Goals and Priorities
Be sure to check out the full Called Forward Together in Christ: ELCA Strategic Directions 2025 document. Here’s a preview of part 3:
Our strategic directions
ELCA Strategic Directions 2025 tells the story of the church we are becoming – a church that is confident about who we are in Christ and what God is calling us to do. The directions are presented in three parts: The ELCA – who we are; What unites us as church; and, Our goals and priorities.
3. Our goals and priorities
Strategic Directions 2025 identifies goals and priority areas for the ELCA as a whole church. These are based in a shared trust and hope that the future is in God’s hands. And they express what this church has collectively said is important into the future….
The “why” of our goals is in the gospel, in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and deeply embedded in our Lutheran theology and traditions.
In a radically individualistic society, we seek to create and sustain life-giving relationships and communities that connect us to God and to one another….
In a world that misuses power and authority and struggles with conflict and growing inequality, we seek to follow Jesus who publicly spoke up for those who were oppressed and marginalized.
Deadlines for Assembly
Join us as we celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation! The theme will be What Does This Mean? The assembly will give thanks for our reformation heritage through worship and education. Additionally, workshops will be offered that both teach our history as well as invite us to consider what it means to be Lutheran in the 21st Century.
Save money by registering on or before March 15! If paying by check, that must be received by the synod office by March 15 to honor the early registration rate.
Other deadlines you may want to note:
Reservations can be made with our host hotel, Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center, for $109.00 (plus taxes and fees) per night, as long as the booking is made by April 12. Book online with our group rate for “NT-NL Synod Assembly” or call Marriott Reservations directly at 1-800-228-9290 and mention “NT-NL Synod Assembly” to receive our group rate.
The deadline to submit resolutions is two weeks prior to Assembly. This year, that date is April 14.
March 17 Deadline
June 18-20, 2017
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is accepting applications for the 2017 Migrant and Refugee Leadership Academy.
This will be the fifth annual LIRS Academy event, looking for migrant and refugees who are active leaders in their communities. The vision is to take these leaders and help them grow and refine their skills. What they learn at this event, they have the opportunity to take home and implement in their own communities, with some grant support from LIRS available.
This event gives migrants and refugees the opportunity to come together to share experiences, connect with each other, and develop the skills necessary to advocate on issues that affect migrants and refugees.
If selected to attend, LIRS will pay for all transportation, room and board. Space is limited. Applications must be received by March 17.
If you have any questions, feel free to email Deanne Walters at DWalters@lirs.org.
Featured Resource for March
ELCA Disability Ministries and Resources
Save the Date
Go deep into a biblical or theological topic during “Head Strong, Heart Felt: Welcome to a World of Learning at Perkins,” the theme of this year’s Perkins Theological School for the Laity (PTSL). The event will be Thursday, March 30 – Saturday, April 1, 2017 at Perkins School of Theology on SMU’s campus in Dallas.
Choose one or two courses from the seven that will be offered:
· Introduction to the Dead Sea Scrolls with Dr. Angela Kim Harkins
· Spiritual Autobiography: Writing Our Faith with Dr. Rebekah Miles
· Holy Spirit 101 with Dr. Jack Levison
· Viewing the 2016 Presidential Election through the Bible with Dr. Sze-kar Wan
· The Reign of Heaven … What on Earth? The Heart of the Gospel of Matthew with Dr. Wes Allen
· Group Bible Study and Difficult Dialogue in Contentious Contexts with Dr. Susanne Johnson
· Social Holiness: Exploring Our Wesleyan Roots with Dr. Hugo Magallanes
Click here for a brochure with full details. To view full details online and to register: smu.edu/Perkins/PublicPrograms/LaySchools/Dallas/PTSL_2017.
Where in the world is?
- Mar. 19 – Emmanuel, Granbury
- Mar. 19 – Umoja, Fort Worth
- Mar. 19 – Bethany, Dallas
- Mar. 12-16 – DOMESTIC Unit staff meeting
- Mar. 18: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 1
- Mar. 25: Dallas Area Metro North SWO Retreat
- Apr. 4-6: Young at Heart Retreat (Briarwood)
- Apr. 7-9: NT-NL Family Retreat
- Apr. 8: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 2
- Apr. 8: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- Apr. 23: Briarwood Quarterly Brunch
- Apr. 27-28: Mission / Synod Council Meeting
- Apr. 28-30: 2017 Mission / Synod Assembly
- Apr. 29: Assembly Worship Service (open to the public)
- May 4-6: “Go Baptize, Make Disciples” Catechumenate Training Institute
- May 6: Briarwood Annual Gala
- May 13: Public Witness Team for Peace and Justice monthly meeting
- May 20: PLMA Spring 2017 Course 3
- May 20: Mission Endowment Fund board meeting
- May 28 – Jun. 2: Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive I
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!