This year at our online synod assembly (be sure to get voting members registered by Sept. 18th) we will be celebrating the ELCA’s 50-40-10 anniversaries. These anniversaries are important moments in the life of our church as we move towards greater inclusion of those God calls to ministry. Beginning this week and the next two Tuesdays I will be emphasizing each of these anniversaries with a video and blog leading up to our fuller celebration during assembly.
This week I focus on the 50th anniversary of the ordination of pastors who are women. On November 22, 1970 the Rev. Elizabeth Platz was ordained by the Lutheran Church in America. So important was that moment that CBS television made a documentary about her experience. Since that time pastors who are women have given great gifts to the church. We also recognize that they face unique challenges even after 50 years because of their gender. On September 17th we will be hosting an event online for our rostered leaders who are women with Barbara Keller, Misconduct Prevention Consultant for the ELCA to focus on dealing with harassment and control issues, which women in ministry frequently experience from colleagues, congregational leaders, and members. These challenges we must recognize while we also celebrate and give thanks for 50 years of ordained pastors who are women in our church.
Hunger in the Time of COVID-19
Rick Steves, guidebook author and travel TV host, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and the Rev. Shelley Bryan Wee, bishop of the Northwest Washington Synod of the ELCA, invite you to an online benefit for ELCA World Hunger. This Zoom event will take place Thursday, September 24, 7 p.m. Central time.
Our goal is to raise $250,000 to confront hunger in the time of COVID-19.
We are called by God to share hope in this time of challenge. Join us to face this global hunger crisis head-on, and continue to move toward a just world where all are fed. Please spread the word about this extraordinary event.
Register now. Then on Monday, September 21, you will receive an email with details on how to access this online event. If you have any questions, please email them to Rebecca Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEF Celebrates 25 Years!
The NT-NL Mission Endowment Fund (MEF) is celebrating 25 years!
An AMAZING total of over $900,000 has been awarded.
In celebration of its 25th Anniversary, the MEF Seeds that Change event on Saturday, October 17, has become an online campaign that will conclude with a worship service of thankfulness and celebration featuring multiple churches, pastors, and members from all across our Synod.
Featured Resources for September
Nearly 3,000 people on average commit suicide daily, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). For every person who completes a suicide, 20 or more may attempt to end their lives. About one million people die by suicide each year. There is strong evidence indicating that adequate prevention can reduce suicide rates.
September is National Suicide Prevention (Awareness) Month.
National Suicide Prevention Week is the Monday through Sunday surrounding World Suicide Prevention Day, this year September 6-12.
World Suicide Prevention Day, which first started in 2003, is annually held on September 10 as an International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) initiative.
From the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): While suicide prevention is important to address year-round, Suicide Prevention Awareness Month provides a dedicated time to come together with collective passion and strength around a difficult topic. The truth is, we can all benefit from honest conversations about mental health conditions and suicide, because just one conversation can change a life. Use #SuicidePrevention or #StigmaFree on social media.
The Jason Foundation has a set of resources around the theme of #IWONTBESILENT.
More resources can be found on the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention‘s website.
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/ramping-up-for-fall/ – published Sep. 3)
(https://www.ntnl.org/conferencia-latina/ – published Sep. 5)
Where in the world is?
The bishop and staff have resumed limited in-person travel for special events or to tape or live-stream worship. The staff will wear masks for all services and anytime they are near people, either inside or outside a facility. All synod business will continue to be conducted by Zoom, including our synod council meetings and online assembly on September 26.
- Sep. 12: Ordination of Tom Schwolert, Briarwood Leadership Center Chapel
- Sep. 13: Emanuel, Dallas, Outdoor Worship, Baptisms, and Confirmations
- (No visits planned this week)
- (No visits planned this week)
With the ever-changing guidelines and recommendations in our world right now, as we maintain physical distance in social solidarity, please keep in mind these events may be moved online, postponed, or cancelled:
- Sep. 9: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – What If I Said Yes? The House That Love Built with Sarah Jackson from Casa de Paz, Zoom
- Sep. 10: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Sep. 10: Interim Pastors monthly meeting, Zoom
- Sep. 12: Parish Lay Ministry Academy, Fall 2020, Course 1, Zoom
- Sep. 12: Public Witness Team meeting, Zoom
- Sep. 13: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday
- Sep. 14: The Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing and Fundraiser, Fort Worth, TX
- Sep. 16: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Growing Young, Part 1 with Rev. Dr. Phil Hirsch and Rachel Alley, Zoom
- Sep. 17: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Sep. 22: Orientation for Online Synod Assembly, Zoom
- Sep. 23: Orientation for Online Synod Assembly, Zoom
- Sep. 23: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – The Untold Story: Black Lutheran History, Part 2 with Dr. Richard Stewart and Dr. Larry Clark, Zoom
- Sep. 24: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Sep. 25-26: Synod Council meetings with Deans, Assistant Deans, and MEF, Zoom
- Sep. 26: Online 2020 Synod Assembly, Zoom (Voting Members) and Livestream (Everyone else)
- Sep. 30: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – Preaching in Highly Politicized Times, Rev. George Mason, Zoom
- Oct. 1: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
- Oct. 1: Interim Pastors monthly meeting, Zoom
- Oct. 3: ESET (SSTE) Módulo 9 (Día 1 de 5), Zoom
- Oct. 7: Weekly Online Gathering for ELCA Leaders – The Sacred Work of Grief, Part 2: TBA with Rev. Solveig Nilsen-Goodin, Zoom
- Oct. 8: Weekly NT-NL Leadership Prayer, Check-in, Zoom
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to Jason (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.