Hurricane Harvey and Houston Flood Recovery Options
Last Friday, Bishop Gronberg and two other leaders from NT-NL — Pastor Matt Schroeder (Trinity, Fort Worth) and Intern Don Strickland (New Hope, Keller) — visited the Houston and Gulf Coast areas. Bishop wanted to see the situation firsthand and visit with Bishop Rinehart about how best we can assist our partners across the gulf coast, including areas in Southwestern Texas Synod (where the hurricane winds did significant damage – see photo below of Holy Cross, Rockport).
They were able to visit several congregations and spend some time helping to muck out Salem, Houston, where former NT-NL Pastor Marvin Havard is serving now.
There are many ways you can assist in the recovery of our neighbors here in Texas and Louisiana. First and foremost, please include petitions in worship for the people of the gulf coast, the congregations, pastors, lay leaders, and bishops Tiemann and Rinehart.
As always, donations to Lutheran Disaster Response are an efficient way to get funds into the hands of local organizations helping individuals on the ground. Additionally, you can support congregations who are rebuilding damaged property by giving to the disaster relief funds of either the Southwestern Texas Synod or the Gulf Coast Synod. One thing to note, please do not send any in-kind donations unless you have verified a need and logistics.
We are blessed to be able to serve together with our partners, the people impacted by this disaster, and will continue to do so.
Other ways you can serve and partner are:
- Gulf Coast Synod Workday, September 9. https://gulfcoastsynod.org/hurricane-harvey (Please RSVP by Wednesday.)
- Donations can be made through Thrivent.
- Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services has set up a hotline for Texas families trying to locate Harvey survivors in Louisiana State shelters. The numbers to call are (225) 615-0086 and (225) 615-0258.
- Disaster Distress Hotline: For those struggling with emotional issues related to the disasters: Call: 1-800-985-5990, Text:‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746, Visit: disasterdistress.samhsa.gov / En Espanol: Llámenos: 1-800-985-5990, Envíenos un SMS: “Hablanos” al 66746, Visítenos: disasterdistress.samhsa.gov/espanol
- Samaritan’s Purse is in Portland and Victoria and accepting volunteers for cleanup work: https://spvolunteernetwork.samaritanspurse.org/hurricane-harvey-reponse/
- Convoy of Hope doing distribution in Victoria; can volunteer here: https://www.convoyofhope.org/get-involved/volunteer/harvey/
Parish Lay Mission Academy (PLMA)
The PLMA starts back up for the Fall semester on September 16. Registration is due by September 6. Click here for full details.
Worship Location Changes
Two of our congregations have taken big steps of faith and sold their buildings.
Ascension, Garland, is currently worshiping at Gloria Dei, 1333 E Beltline Rd, Garland, TX 75040.
First, Waco, is currently worshiping at Connally-Compton Funeral Home, 4400 W Waco Dr, Waco, TX 76710.
Featured Resources for September
Lutheran Disaster Response of the ELCA brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by disasters in the United States and around the world. Find resources for you and your congregation to get involved, spread the word, and help raise money for people affected by disasters. There are bulletin inserts, prayer guides, anniversary updates, situation reports, and more!
Save the Date
October 21, 4-7pm
We are currently seeking donations for the silent and live auctions. Please contact MEF Director Hattie Hammer at email@example.com or (972) 637-3191.
Recent Blog Posts
(#HoustonStrong – published September 1)
(One of my favorite things – published August 31)
(No longer “new” – published September 2)
Where in the world is?
- Sep. 7-16 – The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) New Bishops Retreat – Geneva, Switzerland, and Wittenberg, Germany
- Sep. 10 – Pr. Matt Schroeder’s installation, Trinity, Fort Worth
- Sep. 6 – Bible study, Adviento, Arlington
- Sep. 10 – Serenity Worship Hour, New Hope, Keller
- Sep. 9: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Sep. 10: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday (ELCA Day of Service)
- Sep. 12: “Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World” airing on PBS
- Sep. 12-13: Unauthorized: Nevertheless, She Preached
- Sep. 16: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 1
- Sep. 18: Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing and Fundraiser
- Sep. 21-23: Synod Council meeting
- Sep. 23: Briarwood Climbing Wall Dedication
- Sep. 25: Revisiting Luther’s 95 Theses (Luther Center of North Texas)
- Sep. 29-Oct. 1: Junior High Retreat
- Oct. 7: Briarwood Fall Festival and Thrivent Cooking for Christ Cook-off
- Oct. 7: Celebración de la Reforma
- Oct. 13-15: NT-NL SWO Fall Retreat
- Oct. 14: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Oct. 15-16: Harmony Conference
- Oct. 15-17: Bishop’s Convocation
- Oct. 20: Briarwood’s Golf Outing
- Oct. 21: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 2
- Oct. 21: MEF “Seeds That Change” Dinner / Fundraiser
- Oct. 31: Brite Divinity School chapel service: Reformation with Bishop Gronberg
- Oct. 31: Looking Back & Called Forward: ELCA 500
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.