Sierra Leone Flood Relief
Report from the ELCSL:
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN SIERRA LEONE EMMERGENCY RELIEF RESPONSE FOR MUDSLIDE AND FLOOD VICTIMS
On 14 August 2017, mudslide and flooding incidence took place in the following areas: Kaningo/Malama, Kamayama, Culvert, Dwarzark, and Martormeh at the hills of Mount Sugar Loaf, which affected approximately four thousand people and four hundred people dead.
In our emergency response, we were able to provide food and non-food items for five hundred people at Mortormeh and Kaningo communities. See analysis below.
MORTORMEH COMM. BENEFICIARIES | KANINGO COMM. BENEFICIARIES
Men: 52 | 39
Women: 59 | 33
Children 0-5yrs: 63 | 42
Children 6-12yrs: 43 | 57
Lactation mothers: 31 | 29
Pregnant women: 24 | 28
TOTALS 272 | 228
The lists below show the number of people, type, and quantity of items distributed for two weeks.
FOOD ITEMS | QUANTITY
Rice (Ratio 2:1- two cups of rice per person x two week) 320bags (50kg per bag)
Vegetable cooking oil 750 gallons
Onions 120 bags
Tomato paste 175 cartons
Maggi cubes 90 Cartons
Table Salt 65 bags
Sugar 25 bags (25kg per bag)
Milk (powered) 45 bags (50kg per bag)
Tea bags 250 boxes
Sardine 10 cartons (24 per carton)
Pop drinks 150 tins
Biscuits (crackers) 10 (48 pieces per box)
Sweets (assorted) 15 cartons
NON–FOOD ITEMS | QUANTITY
Plastic drinking buckets 300
Plastic plates 450
Plastic Bowl 100
Towel (bath) 500
Laundry soap 1000 bars
Bathing soap 450 bars
Harvey Flood Relief
Our Redeemer, Grand Prairie, along with friends and community members, gathered the following requested items in just two days for Dallas area shelters housing evacuees from Hurricane Harvey:
17 bags of new clothes (mostly socks and underwear)
5 bags of toiletries
7 containers of baby formula
3 boxes and 1 bag of baby wipes
2 bags of bottles and sippy cups
5 boxes and 1 bag of diapers
1 huge bag of old towels plus 1 blanket for pets
4 bags of toys and treats for pets
The “God’s work. Our hands.” school supplies team of Trinity, Sherman, decided to donate the school supplies previously earmarked for Lutheran World Relief school kits to the families in Rockport. In addition to school supplies, donations of new clothing, diapers, formula and food were accepted, sorted, and delivered to Sory Elementary for distribution on Thursday, September 7.
A congregant from Trinity Evangelical, Miles, who makes quilts to give away at Christmas, brought 40 of them to send with this truck to Houston: http://www.conchovalleyhomepage.com/news/news-connection/miles-residents-collect-items-to-help-houston-flood-victims/801534611
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Statement
ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton has issued a statement in response to last week’s announcement on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
Read the full statement here: http://elca.org/News-and-Events/7898.
Download the statement in English: http://bit.ly/2eBFJyx.
Descargue la declaración en español: http://bit.ly/2w6XITF.
Featured Resources for September
Lutheran Disaster Response of the ELCA brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by disasters in the United States and around the world. Find resources for you and your congregation to get involved, spread the word, and help raise money for people affected by disasters. There are bulletin inserts, prayer guides, anniversary updates, situation reports, and more!
Save the Date
Lutheran Men in Mission presents
Briarwood Retreat Center
Recent Blog Posts
(ELCA Latino Coaching – published Sep. 5)
(ELCA Congregational Development Training Conference – published Sep. 5)
(Annual Latino Conference Couples Retreat – published Sep. 5)
(Welcome our new Multicultural Pastor Cindy Carroll, Emanuel, Dallas – published Sep. 5)
Where in the world is?
- Sep. 7-16 – The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) New Bishops Retreat – Geneva, Switzerland, and Wittenberg, Germany
- Sep. 17 – Hope, Springtown
- Sep. 17 – Covenant, Temple
- Sep. 12-14 – ELCA Future Directions Table, Chicago, IL
- Sep. 12: “Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World” airing on PBS
- Sep. 12-13: Unauthorized: Nevertheless, She Preached
- Sep. 16: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 1
- Sep. 18: Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing and Fundraiser
- Sep. 21-23: Synod Council meeting
- Sep. 23: Briarwood Climbing Wall Dedication
- Sep. 25: Revisiting Luther’s 95 Theses (Luther Center of North Texas)
- Sep. 29-Oct. 1: Junior High Retreat
- Oct. 7: Briarwood Fall Festival and Thrivent Cooking for Christ Cook-off
- Oct. 7: Celebración de la Reforma
- Oct. 13-15: NT-NL SWO Fall Retreat
- Oct. 14: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Oct. 15-16: Harmony Conference
- Oct. 15-17: Bishop’s Convocation
- Oct. 20: Briarwood’s Golf Outing
- Oct. 20-22: LMM presents One Year to Live Men’s Retreat
- Oct. 21: PLMA, Fall 2017, Course 2
- Oct. 21: MEF “Seeds That Change” Dinner / Fundraiser
- Oct. 31: Brite Divinity School chapel service: Reformation with Bishop Gronberg
- Oct. 31: Looking Back & Called Forward: ELCA 500
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.