This week we pray for:
Trinity in Fort Worth (the Revs. Erik Gronberg and Kendra Mohn)
Gloria Dei in Garland (the Rev. Charles Hubbard)
Doctors, nurses, EMTs, and other medical professionals.
Find out more and make a donation at NTNL.org/ebola-crisis.
February 15, 2:00-4:00
Preston Meadow Lutheran Church, Plano
The Center for Servant Leadership at Texas Lutheran University is once again offering its College Bound Workshop: Understanding College Admissions and Financial Aid. This workshop is free and open to all, walk-ins are welcome.
2015 NT-NL Table Talk Schedule
February 24: Reviving the Congregation with the Rev. Dr. Michael W. Foss
September 15: The Use of the Means of Grace with the Rev. Kevin Strickland
Denim & Diamonds
Please join us for the 2015 Heart & Soul Gala, benefiting the people served by Mosaic in Dallas. The evening will include dinner, entertainment, silent and live auctions, dancing, and community awards.
For more information or to get involved, please contact Lori Baum at email@example.com or call 972-866-9989 extension 322.
Churchwide Assembly Voting Members
NT-NL will send seven voting members to the 2016 Churchwide Assembly. If you are interested in being a voting member, find more information, and the vita form, here. Nominees will be voted on at the 2015 Assembly.
Chrismon Tree in the new Anderson Chapel
We will have a Chrismon tree in the Anderson Chapel at the new Center for Mission at Briarwood. Would your congregation consider sharing an ornament from your Chrismon tree, so we have a truly all-Mission Area tree?
NT-NL Vice President Stephanie Varnum is overseeing this opportunity. If you would like to participate, or if you have any questions or comments, please contact her at Stephanie@ntnl.org. Ornaments can be mailed to the mission office at 680 Copper Canyon Rd, Argyle, TX 76226.
We have moved!
Thank you for your patience this week as we move from the Dallas office to the new Center for Mission at Briarwood!
The new address for all mail is:
680 Copper Canyon Rd.
Argyle, TX 76226
Please note we will also be discontinuing the use of the P.O. Box! All mail will need to come directly to the above address.
Make sure you mark your calendars to come celebrate the dedication of the new building on Saturday, April 25!
There are still giving opportunities available to finish out the landscaping around the building and to furnish the Streng Leadership Center.
Please visit NTNL.org/donate-now for more information on the new special gifting and naming opportunities for the Center for Mission at Briarwood.
ELCA World Hunger: Go and Do News, January 2015
- Recap of the ELCA World Hunger Leadership Gathering last week in San Francisco
- Information about the ELCA Monthly Partners program
- Spring & Summer Resource Packet and new resources available
- NEW Peer-to-Peer Fundraising
- The ELCA Malaria Campaign Welcomes you to 2015
- Year End Giving Reports available
And, for all you football fans (or commercial fans) out there – the New England and Northwest Washington Synods have put together The Super Synod Challenge for ELCA World Hunger as they anticipate the coast-to-coast Super Bowl match-up next weekend. To read more and donate to your favorite team’s side, visit their synod websites.
Thank you for all you do to lift up the ministry of ELCA World Hunger.
2015 Lutheran Legislative Event
Sponsored by the Poverty & Justice Task Force of the ELCA’s Southwestern Texas Synod; program planned by Texas Impact.
Participating synods: Southwestern Texas, Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana, Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast
February 15-17, 2015
Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas
Do you wonder why our Texas legislators sometimes don’t understand issues of importance to Lutherans? Would you like to help them understand those issues? If so, now’s your opportunity to impact the legislative process!
You are invited to share in a day of challenge and opportunity for a lifetime!
Make Us Your Living Voice:
to be held at
Texas Lutheran University
February 6 • 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Guest speaker: Alexia Salvatierra ♦ Guest preacher: Dr. Ray Pickett
This conference is organized through the Congregation Initiated Community Based Organizing Task Force of the Southwestern Texas Synod (ELCA), participating congregations, and sponsors.
Theologial Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM)
The TEEM program provides alternative preparation for those who will provide pastoral ministry in emerging ministry contexts throughout the church. The TEEM program at the Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest is focused on preparing leaders for cross-cultural Hispanic ministries. Candidates for the TEEM program are nominated by their synods and approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The TEEM program consists of 3-4 days of intensive courses 4 times per year in Austin, TX while the student is immersed in ministry throughout the course of the program. To learn more click here.
- Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive May 24-29 register here
- Building Congregational Capacity for Hispanic Ministry (Level II Intensive) June 7-12 register here
- Hispanic Ministry Summer Term May 24-July 1
St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church – Youth Center
8011 Douglas Avenue
Dallas, TX 75225
How are faithful Christian disciples formed today? What sustains them through a lifetime? How can congregations make a real difference?
Find out in this 2-day training event from Vibrant Faith. Detailed info and registration at https://dowhatmatters-dallas.eventbrite.com.
Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys
Friday, April 24-Sunday, April 26
Join us as we wander into the wilderness, climb onto the holy ground of Mount ¡SINAI!, and continue to journey with Jesus to discover who we are and whose we are.
Our journey to ¡SINAI! will also lead us to understand how to minister among and with youth, young adults, and families in the new generation.
Concurrent with the assembly, Briarwood will offer a family retreat. This be a time for families to explore together how they can support each other in their faith formation. The retreat will focus on Rich Melheim’s FAITH5 (Faith Action In The Home), and how those tools can help families as they embark on their faith journeys together.
Registration for both events coming soon!
Upcoming Events in the NT-NL Mission Area and Beyond:
- Feb. 15: TLU’s College Bound Workshop
- Feb. 20-22: Peer Ministry (for youth in grades 9-12)
- Feb. 21: Mosaic in Dallas’s 18th Annual Heart & Soul Gala
- Feb. 21-22: Lenten Retreat at Briarwood
- Feb 24: Table Talk: Reviving the Congregation with Pastor Michael Foss
- Feb. 24-25: DO WHAT MATTERS! Faith Formation for a New Age
- Feb. 28: Eighth Annual North Texas Senior Fest
- Mar. 22: Brunch at Briarwood
- Mar. 27-29: Into The Wilderness: Men’s Family Retreat at Briarwood
- Apr. 7-9: Senior Citizen’s Retreat
- Apr. 21-May 8: In Search of Paul: An Aegean Odyssey A LEAD pilgrimage for rostered leaders and church professionals
- Apr. 24-26: NT-NL Mission Assembly
- Apr. 24-26: ¡SINAI! Family Retreat: Mountains & Valleys at Briarwood
- May 2: Briarwood Gala
- May 24-29: LSPS’s Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- Sep. 13: “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday
- Sept. 15: Table Talk: The Use of the Means of Grace with Pastor Kevin Strickland
- Oct. 17: MEF “Seeds that Change” Dinner
- Oct. 26-28: 2015 Bishop’s Convocation with special guest Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton!
- Nov. 2: Portico Pre-Retirement Seminar
- Nov. 3: Portico Early/Mid-Career Financial Wellness Seminar
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit them to Criss Forshay (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration for our next Briefings. Don’t forget to include a picture or logo!