Youth Gathering Recap
Friendliness and Safety
From the Living Lutheran article, Staying safe in church:
“One of the best suggestions was simply having greeters at the front door,” Yoos said. Trained greeters could welcome strangers and sit with them at worship. It would not only keep the church safer but also extend hospitality.
“It would be amazing if we actually became more friendly because we’re concerned about safety,” Yoos said.
Stewardship and Generosity
The latest issue of Giving Magazine, the annual publication of the Ecumenical Stewardship Center, is now available. In the front half of the magazine, you’ll find essays that provide thoughtful reflections about courageous generosity. The back half contains articles with practical applications for various types of giving and across generations. New this year are Bright Spot stories meant to provide sparks of inspiration. The stewardship emphasis in the center section invites you to talk with the members of your faith community about their commitments to generosity. Download the free issue of Giving Magazine here.
Featured Resources for August
Planning ahead… Rostered Ministers Appreciation (celebrated in October)
Doing God’s work in the world calls for leaders who bring a variety of training, skills, interests, and life experiences to the work they do in congregations, communities, and partner organizations. Whether serving as a pastor or deacon, rostered ministers carry out the work and mission of this church, sharing God’s love with the world through the good news of Jesus Christ.
This fall, please join us for Rostered Ministers Appreciation to thank our leaders for all they do! Using new resources, including an online peer-to-peer fundraising tool, host a Rostered Ministers Appreciation event to thank your pastor or deacon for all they do and ensure future leaders can respond to the call to serve, just like them. This is a great opportunity to show your pastor or deacon your congregation’s appreciation — all while supporting the next generation of leaders through the ELCA Fund for Leaders and Youth and Young Adults.
Save the Date
The Rev. Carrie Ballenger Smith serves as pastor of the English-speaking congregation at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem’s Old City. She also serves as special assistant to
Bishop Ibrahim Azar of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL).
Recent Blog Posts
(https://www.ntnl.org/briarwood-summer-2018-this-changes-everything/ – published Jul. 31)
Where in the world is?
- Jul. 29-Aug 6: Family Vacation
- Aug. 5: Lord of Life, Glenn Heights
- Aug. 8: King of Glory, Fort Worth
- Aug. 11-12: Midland, Midland
- Aug. 5: Mount Olive, Dallas, and Oromo, Dallas
- Aug. 10-12: Spanish Pilot Generosity Project event, Chicago, IL
- Aug. 11: WELCA Annual Women’s & Girl’s Retreat, Grand Prairie, TX
- Aug. 18: Meet & Greet with The Rev. Carrie Ballenger Smith, ELCA Missionary to Jerusalem, Dallas, TX
- Aug. 28-30: “Undoing Racism” Training, Arlington, TX
- Sep. 1: Bishop Installation for the Southwestern Texas Synod, San Antonio, TX
- Sep. 7: The Bolder Board Training, North Texas
- Sep. 9: “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday
- Sep. 15: PLMA Fall 2018, Course 1, Briarwood
- Sep. 20-22: Synod Council meetings, Briarwood
- Sep. 21-23: Middle School Retreat, Briarwood
- Sep. 22: MEF Board meeting, Briarwood
- Sep. 24: The Church of the Damascus Road Golf Outing and Fund Raiser, Fort Worth, TX
- Sep. 24-26: 2018 First Call Retreat, Briarwood
- Sep. 28-30: Addiction & Faith Conference, Bloomington, MN
- Sep. 29: Panhandle Fall Conference: An introduction to The Generosity Project, Wilson, TX
- Oct. 6: Fall Festival & Thrivent Cook-Off, Briarwood
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (email@example.com) for consideration for upcoming NT-NL News.